Thread: Sycamore Hollow Form

Sycamore Hollow Form

I most often just turn bowls but every now and then like trying something different. I very seldom do any spindle turning so I killed two birds with one stone on this piece. It probably took me longer to turn the base and finial than it took to turn and hollow the Hollow form itself.
    Spalted Sycamore, Black Walnut base and finial, 12" X 6". Finished with lacquer.
    C&C, appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty nice daryl. If you ever get tired of looking at it, you can send it up north.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    I most often just turn bowls but every now and then like trying something different. I very seldom do any spindle turning so I killed two birds with one stone on this piece. It probably took me longer to turn the base and finial than it took to turn and hollow the Hollow form itself.
    Spalted Sycamore, Black Walnut base and finial, 12" X 6". Finished with lacquer.
    C&C, appreciated.
    Daryl, I really like the shape and balance of this! The shape of the form moves the eye gracefully to the curves of the base and the top provides enough visual break to add a focal point.

I not only seldom turn hollow forms but I'm the slowest turner in the Southeast - I'm sure it would have taken me five times longer to turn the form as the spindles!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Pretty nice daryl. If you ever get tired of looking at it, you can send it up north.
    Hey, I live closer - I'd even graciously offer to drive down and relieve Daryl of the burden of having it around.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Thanks for commenting David, I think this is my favorite piece.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Daryl, I really like the shape and balance of this! The shape of the form moves the eye gracefully to the curves of the base and the top provides enough visual break to add a focal point.

I not only seldom turn hollow forms but I'm the slowest turner in the Southeast - I'm sure it would have taken me five times longer to turn the form as the spindles!

JKJ
    Thank you for the kind words John, I am flattered!!
    I am so fortunate [blessed] to have an abundance of wood to "play" with. If I had to purchase my wood I would be afraid to experiment and try new things. Now if I mess up [and I do] I know I have plenty more raw materials to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Hey, I live closer - I'd even graciously offer to drive down and relieve Daryl of the burden of having it around.
    Sorry David and John, this piece has already found a new home. It went to a very special friend of mine.
    I will admit though, it was hard letting this one go. I doubt if I will ever be able to duplicate it...............but i'll try.
    Besides, I've seen work from you both that outshine this one.

so I guess you got out of the tree stand for a few minutes to make that !

HaHa!! you a funny man.
    Looks like i'm going to have to buy a cow or go hungry this year.......................

Very nicely done Daryl. Your shape is very nice and your finish is outstanding. My only suggestion would be that you might want to make the base of the finial a little thinner. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for commenting Steve it is greatly appreciated. Finials [spindles] are not my forte but I am learning. Thanks much for your insight!!!

Daryl, I'm no expert on finials or pedestals but found the videos by Cindy Drozda to be very helpful. If you haven't seen one, you should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Daryl, I'm no expert on finials or pedestals but found the videos by Cindy Drozda to be very helpful. If you haven't seen one, you should check it out.
    I have watched some of Ms. Drozda's videos. She is a master when it comes to finials. She makes it look so easy. I've watched some of her videos showing how she hand sharpens her spindle gouges as well. She is a very talented lady.