Thread: Bathroom Vanities: Edge Banding Question

Bathroom Vanities: Edge Banding Question

I'm building a couple of vanities for our master bathroom. I have heard that the very thin edge banding veneer isn't a great option because of the moisture in the bathrooms, so I was going to use solid wood (poplar, oak, something readily available). How thick a veneer would you use here? 1/4"? Just the face and the bottom (the vanity will have feet), or do you band all four sides? Would you glue and brad, just glue?

Any and all feedback welcome.

I would use at least 1/4" and band all edges that would be seen. I believe only glue would be adequate.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I’d do all 4 sides of the top with mitered corners since it will show when looking down at the top.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I'm planning to use a soapstone top and it will be flush against the wall, So really only the two will be visible. But it might just be good practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I’d do all 4 sides of the top with mitered corners since it will show when looking down at the top.

As long as the plywood is exterior glue I would only cover the edges that show. I think 1/8 is adequate. A disadvantage of the iron on variety of very thin is it can telegraph the plywood veneers too - in addition to tearing if it gets snagged. I would not use brads - or use them only to position the edging, because it doesn't look as good. I would glue and clamp it. At least titebond 2 and tightbond 3 might be a good idea.

After I get the purchased vanity in my MBR I will build a storage cabinet and it will probably have a face frame to cover the edges of a plywood box. It will have to somewhat match the vanity.

I like to use 1/4" banding, but Jim is probably right that 1/8" is enough. I only band the edges that show. Glue only, no brads.