Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's what has me puzzled

Blog Entries

Here's what has me puzzled

So.....why has no one suggested that the "Big Bang" (as we struggle to understand why so little antimatter is known to exist within our scope of understanding) has the same MO as the few antimatter particles we have been able to study.
    When matter and antimatter touch, a bolt of pure energy is released in equal amounts in opposite directions.
    Wouldn't they suspect that the Big Bang went in 2 directions, 180 degrees from one another?

The TV show does go in two different directions!

It's one of my favorites.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    So.....why has no one suggested .... Wouldn't they suspect that the Big Bang went in 2 directions, 180 degrees from one another?
    Assuming one particle pair of antimatter and matter send energy in opposite directions I can imagine that more than one pair in a spherically symmetrical starting configuration might go in apparent random directions so it seems possible that energy flux from enough pairs may be evenly distributed instead of polarized (if I understand what you are speculating). But I don't follow particle physics and these days don't hang with those who do. I do believe there has been a huge amount of speculation on this and other antimatter matters, especially concerning the observed asymmetry conundrum. I suspect Mr SciGoogle will gladly inundate your reading queue.

JKJ

No..........

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    antimatter matters...
    JKJ
    HEY! No politics!

Err, isn't this science, not politics?

I guess the fact that it is possible to isolate antimatter even in minute quantities will lead to further enlightenment. This idea may have merit. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Might not be the right forum for this kind of thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Might not be the right forum for this kind of thread
    Well, it's about as Off Topic as I've seen lately. Kind of along the lines of the old Kent Bathurst postings...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Well, it's about as Off Topic as I've seen lately. Kind of along the lines of the old Kent Bathurst postings...
    I find some Off Topic threads quite interesting, some thought provoking, some useful, some entertaining, some, well, never mind...

I thought this one about the impending end of the world was entertaining: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...by-cruel-world

JKJ

It's all I can manage to be ever vigilant about not permitting Pasta and Antipasto to come together on the same plate. We'd suffer the effects of instantaneous pasta annihilation! Who knows how far that blast radius of sauce might extend?..
    Last edited by Morey St. Denis; 11-21-2017 at 11:48 AM.

If there was only a 180 degree Big Bang would we exist in a two dimensional universe
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

IIRC, AntiSuperman makes a periodic appearance for the never-ending challenge to Superman. Maybe in the next movie?
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    If there was only a 180 degree Big Bang would we exist in a two dimensional universe
    No, I mean half of a sphere, a sphere that we have no idea it's qualities/quantaties.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 11-24-2017 at 2:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Either space is endless or it is simply living in a minute dot on the map of eternety

We have been given understanding by scientist that as we move away from the big bang, we were headed basically in one direction ever expanding its scope, creating a 'universe' , that doesn't really fly.

I think I've said before. I believe that God's universe expands in all directons infinitely. Atoms make our solar system. Groups of solar systems form galaxys. Those are the only examples we are aware of. But isn't it reasonable to suspect that pattern extends indefinately?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    +1. You win for the most “off” Off Topic on a woodworking forum for the year. No need for anyone else to apply........

Unless Kent comes back.......