Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's what has me puzzled

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Either space is endless or it is simply living in a minute dot on the map of eternety

We have been given understanding by scientist that as we move away from the big bang, we were headed basically in one direction ever expanding its scope, creating a 'universe' , that doesn't really fly.

I think I've said before. I believe that God's universe expands in all directons infinitely. Atoms make our solar system. Groups of solar systems form galaxys. Those are the only examples we are aware of. But isn't it reasonable to suspect that pattern extends indefinately?
    I'm way above my pay grade talking about astronomy. All I know is what I see on Nova, other science shows and a little reading. What I understand is that Galaxies are growing more distant over time. This is confirmed by red shift (doppler) measurements. Not because they are hurtling away from us and each other but because the universe itself is expanding in all directions and the amount of matter maintains a fixed relationship to other matter. If the universe is still expanding it cannot be infinite. At least yet. Okay, after a little more thinking I guess one could say the universe IS infinite in that it occupies ALL space. Always has and always will regardless of how big or small the universe is, was or becomes. Even before the Big Bang it was infinite in that it occupied all space.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 11-21-2017 at 9:15 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

The universe is curved - it all comes back on itself ... and then , what John said in post # 3.

There, discussion ended!
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    I'm way above my pay grade talking about astronomy. All I know is what I see on Nova, other science shows and a little reading. What I understand is that Galaxies are growing more distant over time. This is confirmed by red shift (doppler) measurements. Not because they are hurtling away from us and each other but because the universe itself is expanding in all directions and the amount of matter maintains a fixed relationship to other matter. If the universe is still expanding it cannot be infinite. At least yet. Okay, after a little more thinking I guess one could say the universe IS infinite in that it occupies ALL space. Always has and always will regardless of how big or small the universe is, was or becomes. Even before the Big Bang it was infinite in that it occupied all space.
    If the universe is still expanding then it is expanding into some, as yet unoccupied space, therefore the universe is finite. The amount of unoccupied space on the other hand may or may not be infinite. If the amount of unoccupied space is finite, then what contains it. What's on the other side of that boundary?

Space is the "infinite" aspect.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    If the universe is still expanding then it is expanding into some, as yet unoccupied space, therefore the universe is finite. The amount of unoccupied space on the other hand may or may not be infinite. If the amount of unoccupied space is finite, then what contains it. What's on the other side of that boundary?
    Turtles, all the way down?
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    My opologies to the OP if this is a bit off topic, but did you know you have erectile tissue in your nose?
    At the rear of each nostril.
    The brain engorges one side while allowing the other to go phlacid. This changes brain activity on the 2 sides.
    It is a cyclical function. The length of the cycle varies person to person. Some don't have any. Perhaps mouth breathers? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    My apologies to the OP if this is a bit off topic...
    Uh, you do realize this is your thread, right?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Uh, you do realize this is your thread, right?
    Haha right ....... officially the strangest thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    Haha right ....... officially the strangest thread.
    OMG!

All Matter matters! (no one got my joke, but now that the thread has jumped the shark, what the heck.)

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Maybe that ''Flat Earth' guy who is now in the news with his rocket is right?

OR

The earth is a big clay pigeon, flying through the twilight zone, waiting for someone with a big shotgun to hit it. (Big Bang)
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 11-23-2017 at 2:04 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Terry Pratchett had it right: the world rests on the back of the star tortoise Great A'Tuin as he swims through the universe looking for a mate. (I'm ignoring the elephants, they're just there to make a flat surface.)

Hint: the "Big Bang" comes at the end of that cosmology. :-)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Whew!!! Y'all must have a lot more time on your hands than I do.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.