Thread: Grizzly G0555 bandsaw replacing threaded tension rod

Grizzly G0555 bandsaw replacing threaded tension rod

First time posting,been reading the forum for years.I have to replace the tensioning threaded rod. I had to saw the rod into because the square nut
    frose up on the rod.My question is how far is the upper lock collar away from the bottom of the cap on top of the rod. Another question is how far is the square nut up on the threaded rod.And one more is the pointed end of threaded rod supposed or not supposed to touch the yoke of the frame.
    I would appreciate any help on this problem.This is great forum and been enjoying it for years Thank you

Roger

I have a Jet, that is very similar to your saw, and had the same problem many years ago.
    The position of the square nut will not make a difference. It is the nut that the tension rod works against to apply tension. Once you begin to thread the rod through the nut, it will take up until it applies pressure on the yoke assembly.
    The Rod on mine was a metric size, but I replaced it with a 5/16th length of all thread and made my own square nut.

The Pointy end does in fact make contact with the saw frame, and if it's like mine, it will eventually bore a hole through the frame. Mine is now a pad of JB weld, with the swivel end of a c clamp acting as the cup/rest for the tension rod.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thank you for your help,I'm still waiting for the parts to arrive.I'll let you know how it goes.