Thread: How To finish this Plywood Panel

Red face How To finish this Plywood Panel

I am working on making a wood privacy panel and have got this pattern on a sheet of the plywood. As you will notice in attached images, the side of the plywood edges are not smooth.
    I am novice and looking for some guidance.
    Experts please advice me what could be best option to fill and ensure professional finish for this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are not going to get the plywood edges to really match the veneer. If the veneer is going to be stained and clear finished, I would de-fuzz the plys and paint them a dark color.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    You are not going to get the plywood edges to really match the veneer. If the veneer is going to be stained and clear finished, I would de-fuzz the plys and paint them a dark color.
    Thanks for quick reply.
    How about if I paint it in light color, will it matter?
    Also i did not get what is meant by de-fuzz the ply. Can i use wood filler or something to ensure it a clean and neat look across the edges? What could be my best option to fill the pores in the edges of plywood?

Sure, you could paint the plys a light color but I think that would make it so obvious that the grain is just thin veneer. Nothing at all wrong with that material ,the finished grill will just look better if it seems to be pierced solid wood. The edge surface looks cleanly cut . I think it would be best to get the front completely finished ,then if you get a spot of paint on it you can quickly get it off the front without damage. The cuts look smooth and sharp so I would just smooth a bit with fine grit paper.

You may find that trying to smooth all those plywood edges is very time-consuming. An alternative approach would be to start over again, using MDF-core sheet goods -- that is, a sheet of MDF covered both sides with veneer. The advantage of the MDF is that it is a uniform material, so you would not have to fill pores and voids. You'd still likely want to paint it.

Raj, that is a good looking panel. It sounds like you want to paint it. My suggestion is as follows.

Get some Timbermate wood putty. It is water based and easy to use. Rub some putty into all the edges. You don't need too much. The ply looks to be fairly good quality without too many gaps between the veneers but it will still take some time.

When the putty is dry in an hour or so, you then need to sand the edges to smooth off the putty and any sharp edges and wood fibres. Use 180 grit sandpaper for this.

Dust it down and give it a coat of primer. You will have to go to wherever you buy paint and get their advice for primer and topcoat to use. Brush the paint on.

After the primer is dry, it needs a light sand with 240 grit paper. Check your edges for any holes you may have missed and fill them now.

Sand any putty. Apply your top coat now. You will probably need two top coats to make sure the paint colour is uniform.

Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

fill with either bondo or drywall compound, sand and paint.

use a shellac based primer like BIN to keep the resinous areas from bleeding through.