Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (How) Would you move your BIG laser up a flight of stairs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henry3424 View Post
    I'll be facing a somewhat similar issue in a month or two when I move a 300-lb 16x24 laser from the garage down to my basement office. I'd originally planned to use a stair stepper like this one and move it myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifWSXhCJFkE

Googling for "stair climbing dolly" should turn up quite a few brands and more detailed searches should turn up some local rental place that can provide by the day or for a 4-hour rental. Here in the Chicago suburbs, there are several rentals within an hour's drive that will rent for $100-200 per day.

Due to some recent back problems I will probably hire some help and let them do the job with the rental unit.

In past years my wife and I moved an 1,100-lb Tormach CNC milling machine down to our townhome basement (in pieces) and a couple years ago I moved a 1600-lb Tormach lathe (also in pieces) down there with the help of a couple paid helpers. We just needed them for the lathe base which weighed over 400 lbs. I'd have been tempted to try the rental stair climbing dolly on the lathe myself on both tools had I been aware of local rentals at the time.

Here's a narrative on the mill move from about 9 years ago in case anyone is interested:

http://memweb.newsguy.com/~mphenry/t...isassembly.htm

We used a crude A-frame supported against the basement doorway and a Harbor Freight winch to lower some of the heavier mill components and the lathe bed down the stairs and that worked pretty well (see the pictures about 2/3rds way down the above link). I still think that the stair climbing dolly is a better solution, though.
    I’m not sure driving an hour to pick up a $200 rental and still hiring some help would be worth it. I hired a moving crew to load a 26’ trailer with everything from my warehouse and it took them just under 3 hours - the charge? $300. Pretty sure they could have moved your laser in about 15 minutes and charged their minimum $150.

Nice. I tried a few movers and they did not want to touch. Too much liability. Ended find some people at my my church who volunteered.