Thread: Face Frame with Recess Spray Question

Face Frame with Recess Spray Question

I am making a number of door/face frame units like the picture below. The general process after sanding is to apply a washcoat, stain (water based spray), sanding sealer, scuff, then apply finish coats. I was having problem with stain build up when I sprayed the face frames. To get good stain cover and to tone the wood I was taking a few passes with the gun. The multiple passes could lead to a bit of build up if I was not careful. I was using a Walcom Slim gun. I am wondering if I would be better off spraying the face frame parts with a detail gun?

Thanks

P1-Q.jpg

If you are putting on so much that you are getting a noticeable buildup then it won't matter what type of gun you are using. It sounds to me like you need a deeper stain so you don't need to apply so much.

John

I talked to my finish supplier today, and he suggested I need to work on my gun settings. He agreed that a different gun was not going to fix the problem. I will try some more. Maybe someday I will get to the point where I feel I am a reasonable finisher. Finishing is not my favorite step for sure.

Welcome to the club. One day I hope to be decent at spraying. Maybe tightening up your spray pattern for those tight areas.

A better approach would be to use a wiping stain.

The doors get the same finish, so it is a bit more efficient to spray all the parts. Everything gets finished at the same time after test fitting. It worked fairly well for the most part, and I just had a few times where I had a bead. I think I need to work on my spray technique and adjust the spray settings more often. I may have been a bit low on my air volume too. I finally took the time to plumb in a proper line from the 80gal compressor. I will give it another go. I was quite pleased with the built-in seat finish done at the same time.

P2.jpg