Thread: About to pull the trigger on a RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch Mini Lathe

Blog Entries

Lightbulb About to pull the trigger on a RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch Mini Lathe

I would love to hear from anyone who has this lathe, weather good or bad. If bad please let me know what you would have bought instead.

As always thanks for your response.

I have a real small shop at our cabin in New Mexico, the Rikon mini has served me pretty good for 4 years. It only gets use during the summer and the weekends we are there. I would buy another if I needed another mini lathe.

My first lathe, now used for small items since the Robust, but it's been a charm for 5 years. Only thing I've done is replace the belt a couple of times

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback. I always get a little nervous when buying a new tool, but I think I picked the right one.

I have a craftsman that I believe is the same exact lathe with different name tag and paint. I have been very impressed by it. I had a harbor frieght lathe and I have a large delta lathe in my wood shop. I bought the mini lathe for small projects to be used in my basement. so far I am very happy. If you could afford it I would get the model with speed control (70-220). changing belt is annoying, other then that it is a great lathe. I have made a small bowl maybe 7 inches acrossed, some pens and a bird house. It handled the bowl very well but the slow speed is high if you wanted to make a bowl on the larger side 10-12 inch.

You will also need to spend a decent amount on accessories, sharpening, tools, chucks etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    ]You will also need to spend a decent amount on accessories, sharpening, tools, chucks etc.
    I've been pricing out all the toys to go with it and it's adding up quickly.

I Started with that rikon bought it off craigslist for $250 with stand and duplicator and various other accesories. It has been a great lathe. I know I made it do things it was not ment to do. It never let me down.
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."