Thread: Delta LA200

Delta LA200

Hi,
    Found a Delta LA200 listed on Craigslist, comes with a Nova G3 chuck and some tools. The seller wants $400. I realize we don't know the condition of the lathe or tools. So all responses will be speculation. All the threads I found about the Delta LA200 are several years old. Is this a discontinued model? Meaning no support from Delta if I need parts. Are these reliable? Just like every other newbie I will start with pens and small bowls so I assume the power will be sufficient. What are your thoughts on the price?
    Thanks for your patience and input helping another newbie.
    BV
    Last edited by Brian Vega; 11-21-2017 at 4:36 PM.

I don’t know about part availability, but there are two of the lathes on eBay for $350 - one local pickup and the other with shipping of $125 as I recall. If the condition is good, sounds like a reasonable price with the chuck and some tools.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Brian,

I have 2 LA200 lathes. The lathe is fine. Good quality, works great. My wife turned 140 seam rippers in 4 days on one. I was impressed! ...with her and the lathe. One of my lathes is 10 years old, and the other I have had for 7 years. I bought it used, and it was about 6? years old when I bought it. I don't think it was ever used. There are few if any parts available form Delta, but some parts may be available at parts speciality houses like ereplacementparts.com. As for the price, I paid $150 for the used machine, with a small set of pen tools. I wouldn't pay over $200 for the lathe alone. The chuck could add $65 or more depending on extra jaws. The tools are a total wild card since we don't know what they are, or who makes them. If they are the Delta basic set, the seller should pay you $50 to take them. They are junk, and that's being really nice. As far as problems, I had to replace the motor on one of mine. Later I found out that it was likely just the fry pan switch that went bad. It would have been repairable. The only other part I needed was a tool rest (twice). That was inexperience (being new at turning), not a bad part. Tool rests are readily available after market, and there are some rests that are much nicer than the rest that comes with it. So, in a nut shell, good lathe if in good condition, but maybe a bit overpriced unless there are a few high quality tools with it. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 11-21-2017 at 6:55 PM.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

If I am not mistaken, the model number 46-460 was originally called the LA200 midi lathe and had two model numbers:
    • 46-455 fixed speed midi lathe
    • 46-460 variable speed midi lathe

The earlier models will show "Type 1" on the nameplate and the one that is currently in production is a "Type 2". As far as appearance is concerned the two types look identical, so I presume there are some minor differences that might be the reason for the type designations.

Nearly all of the parts are available for both types of the variable speed lathe as well as both types of the fixed speed lathe. On the Delta Machinery site at http://www.deltamachinery.com/, you can navigate to the parts website by going to Service & Support > Find Parts. Or you can go directly to the parts ordering site at: http://www.deltamachineryparts.com/?s=46-460

It appears that the 46-460 variable speed midi lathe is still in production. I have turned on the 46-460 many times during classes offered at my club and it is a really nice sturdy and well made machine that runs like a sewing machine.
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 11-21-2017 at 11:05 PM.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    If I am not mistaken, the model number 46-460 was originally called the LA200 midi lathe and had two model numbers:
    • 46-455 fixed speed midi lathe
    • 46-460 variable speed midi lathe

Actually the LA 200 is the predecessor of the 46-455 and 46-460, and was discontinued a few months before the new lathes were introduced. The time gap caused a lot of rumors that Delta was getting out of lathes. It has a 10" swing rather than 12", and is belt change rather than the variable speed of the 460. It was a 1/2 HP, and was lighter duty in general. It actually had a 46-XXX number, but I can't remember it now. It was just referred to as an LA 200. I also have a 46-460 type 1 (I know, who has 3 MIDI lathes? It's a sickness I tell you). It is definitely a nicer lathe with the variable speed, but I still like my LA200s. If the used one you found is one of the current models for $400, BUY IT if it is in good shape.
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 11-21-2017 at 11:28 PM.
    Brian

I bought the Delta LA200 new paid something like $360-- with a set of mini tools, I still have the tools and use them at times for real small stuff’

The lathe’s number is Delta 46-250 midi lathe, but was usually called the LA200 like Brian says, I sold it a few years after for $200-- to buy the Delta 46-460, The person I sold it to used it basically every day for a few year and then sold it to another turner who is still using it for all I know.

I found the lathe motor not strong enough to turn the max sizes and also the swing rather small, the switch is crap as is the same with any of the far east machinery and I replaced that with a quality switch.
    Have fun and take care

I had the LA200 and recently sold it for $200. It only has a 10" swing. The only problem I had was the locking handles were plastic and didn't last long. I bought a G3 chuck last year for $79 from Rockler Black Friday. For less you can get the HF lathe ($219) new and G3 chuck. So he would need to include some decent turning tools for it to be worth it to me. I only used it for pens and kit items. As Leo said at 1/2hp under power for turning small bowls.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thank you all for your time and input. I think I will let it sit on Craigslist and see if he will come down in price. I doubt the tools are anything special or he would have mentioned the brand by name.

Enjoy Thanksgiving with your families......BV

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    Actually the LA 200 is the predecessor of the 46-455 and 46-460, and was discontinued a few months before the new lathes were introduced. The time gap caused a lot of rumors that Delta was getting out of lathes. It has a 10" swing rather than 12", and is belt change rather than the variable speed of the 460. It was a 1/2 HP, and was lighter duty in general. It actually had a 46-XXX number, but I can't remember it now. It was just referred to as an LA 200. I also have a 46-460 type 1 (I know, who has 3 MIDI lathes? It's a sickness I tell you). It is definitely a nicer lathe with the variable speed, but I still like my LA200s. If the used one you found is one of the current models for $400, BUY IT if it is in good shape.
    Thanks for jogging my memory. Now, I remember that our club had several of the LA-200 mini lathes and sold them shortly after I joined because students in classes were pretty rough on them ... things like cranking the tailstock handwheel while the quill was locked. Turning all the various locking levers the wrong way when trying to loosen them, spinning the Morse taper drive centers ... and on and on ... I tell you, Brian, some folks could figure out how to break an anvil if you loaned them your's.
    Bill

Thanks for jogging my memory. Now, I remember that our club had several of the LA-200 mini lathes and sold them shortly after I joined because students in classes were pretty rough on them ... things like cranking the tailstock handwheel while the quill was locked. Turning all the various locking levers the wrong way when trying to loosen them, spinning the Morse taper drive centers ... and on and on ... I tell you, Brian, some folks could figure out how to break an anvil if you loaned them your's.
    Hmm!! Maybe that is why I never get back anvils I loan.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I tell you, Brian, some folks could figure out how to break an anvil if you loaned them your's.
    No kidding! I teach at a university, and it amazes me how fast students can break things, even the things I thought were unbreakable.
    Brian