Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preventing bird strikes on windows

Preventing bird strikes on windows

What are some good ways to prevent birds from from trying to fly through the glass on a window?

In many situations, a window is only used to admit some light in a room rather than to provide a clear view of the outside. ( For example, on some windows the curtains are always kept closed). In that case it wouldn't matter if an anti-bird-strike measure somewhat obscured the view.

Would bird strikes be deterred by the spray-on "snow" that stores put on their windows at Christmas time? How long does that stuff stay on window?

What about simply hanging some lengths of twine over the outside of a window? That could be done in a decorative manner.

They are flying into the reflection of the glass - to them they are seeing open sky or trees - a natural flight path.
    Keeping the window from being reflective is the best solution. Don't know how long the "snow" will cling but that's the right idea.

We have bird angel imprints on our windows regularly - especially after a hawk has streaked the feeders. Dirty windows
    is not a solution . We do care about our view so obscuring the windows is not an alternative.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 11-22-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    How about putting up screens?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    We had a robin that kept seeing a rival in our front window and he would attack it from sunrise to sunset except when our cat would sit in the window to watch the birds.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

We have birds constantly hitting our windows, in fact, one just did mere seconds before I found this thread. They're small birds that don't hurt the window or themselves, only once did we ever go out there and find a bird on the ground that had knocked itself senseless for a couple of minutes until it recovered and flew off. Since there are no predators that can come and get them while they're dazed, I don't worry about it. Haven't had one die yet that I know of.

Some guys up here hang old CD's from a hole they drill near the edge with fishing line in their boat lift canopies to stop birds from nesting in them. Might help to hang one outside the window so it can twist and turn??? Of course it looks like an old disco light, so maybe not. Screens stop small birds but not the Grouse, they make good eating when they fly into windows.

The house we finally moved into has 3 sliding doors on the back side of the house. We have frequent deadly bird strikes on the door that we use the most and that's because the curtains are left open and it appears dark in that glass. We haven't tried this yet, but think it's worth a try.

http://flap.org/residential_new.php
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Here are some suggestions from the American Bird Conservancy : https://abcbirds.org/get-involved/bird-smart-glass/

Had the same issue after installing a new clear glass (no muntins) at the kitchen sink. It's reflections from the trees in our case. I have a pedant light with an orange colored globe over the sink that hangs in the window 25w bulb. Just leave it on and bird strikes stop. If we forget the light we will get a strike in the first few hours. Does not happen on other Windows on the same side (with muntins). Odd but that's the way it is.
    Jim

Birds flying into glass used to be a sign someone there was going to die soon. So things have improved some.

I have pull down shades on mine.

when a bird does hit hard and if it doesn't break anything the thing to do is go out and mess with it some. Pick it up, pet it's head, make contact. If you don't let it wallow in it's own misery and die it will usually recover.

my wife says I do bird CPR.

One suggestion I've heard is to hang a silhouette of a diving hawk in the window. The theory is that thus scares the birds away from the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    How about putting up screens?

jtk
    I like that idea; it would also protect against BBs. But what's a simple way to put up screens? Many modern window designs have a screen that covers over only part of the window. Screens would prevent awning style windows from opening outward.

In the old days, screens for windows were separate constructions with their own wooden frames that covered the whole window. Is there a good way to use a modern screen with its thin metal frame to cover all of a single hung vinyl frame window?

Considering only birds and not BBs, a rod suspending some vertical cords over the window seems the simplest solution - something easy to remove when the window is cleaned.

Makes me wonder if an official Concussion Protocol exists for birds smacking into windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I like that idea; it would also protect against BBs. But what's a simple way to put up screens? Many modern window designs have a screen that covers over only part of the window. Screens would prevent awning style windows from opening outward.

In the old days, screens for windows were separate constructions with their own wooden frames that covered the whole window. Is there a good way to use a modern screen with its thin metal frame to cover all of a single hung vinyl frame window?

Considering only birds and not BBs, a rod suspending some vertical cords over the window seems the simplest solution - something easy to remove when the window is cleaned.
    Why do you worry about BB's?