Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopfox/W&H molder users - feedback requested

Shopfox/W&H molder users - feedback requested

I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a W1812 molder shortly. I have a lot of trim in our own home as well as two other properties - casing, base, crown, wainscot, etc. The machine will probably pay for itself not necessarily in cost savings over purchasing trim but having the flexibility to make what I need and not having to make multiple runs to a molding supplier.

I'm fairly certain this is the right machine for me. Don't need a more production-oriented machine like a Woodmaster. I'm looking for tips and tricks from users of this or similar (e.g. WH) machines...mainly around infeed/outfeed support, tips for achieving consistency between runs, custom knives and steels (do I need M2?), etc.

Thanks!

Not familiar with that particular machine ,but if it is one that uses TWO knives ,instead of one, I'm sure it will do fine.
    You definately need REAL M2 ,not something similar or 'kinda' like it'.

I have had a WH since about 1990. It is a simple and straight forward machine so there isn't a lot to say. You get snipe at both ends of a moulding. To minimize it feed the next piece right behind the one running. You should keep a sample of a moulding you may want to duplicate and write on it any height settings or dimensions, so that you can match them up if you want to run more for the house again. I have the variable speed and multi-pass stuff but it will be a while before I put them on. They should help with creeping up on a thickness and reduce tear out. I hope. If you want to grind your own knives and have deeper pockets than I, Viel Tools in Quebec have a grinder for the job (product # AF-5. There is a block to mount the knives (product # PO-WH-1) specifically for the WH. The prices are Canadian and are about 20% less in US dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Not familiar with that particular machine ,but if it is one that uses TWO knives ,instead of one, I'm sure it will do fine.
    You definately need REAL M2 ,not something similar or 'kinda' like it'.
    Thanks Mel. I think I've seen you say that elsewhere...or maybe I dreamt it. Do you think it makes a difference immediately in terms of quality of cut (easier to get sharper?), or is it just longevity between sharpenings?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I have had a WH since about 1990. It is a simple and straight forward machine so there isn't a lot to say. You get snipe at both ends of a moulding. To minimize it feed the next piece right behind the one running. You should keep a sample of a moulding you may want to duplicate and write on it any height settings or dimensions, so that you can match them up if you want to run more for the house again. I have the variable speed and multi-pass stuff but it will be a while before I put them on. They should help with creeping up on a thickness and reduce tear out. I hope. If you want to grind your own knives and have deeper pockets than I, Viel Tools in Quebec have a grinder for the job (product # AF-5. There is a block to mount the knives (product # PO-WH-1) specifically for the WH. The prices are Canadian and are about 20% less in US dollars.
    Good stuff, thanks! Doubt I'd ever get to grinding my own knives, but I'd have expected that capability to cost more.

It makes a difference that can be seen after just a few feet. You will see striations almost immediately and tear out will be much worse with low grade steel. That stuff serves no purpose beyond a bigger profit for suplier obtained by invalid comparison to good M2.

Blog Entries
    Grizzly knives are the cheapest, Williams and hussey knives are the cheapest Stock profiles in M2.

I have 2 W&H machines I just recently picked up. I bought the 2nd just for the 32 sets of knives it came with.

<p>
    I have an older W&amp;H. I have these clamp on guides.</p>
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-26-2017 at 7:58 AM. Reason: Removed link to forum

I got one of the 1812s after the redesign.
    Works great!

I like it better than the W&H.
    (firesuit on)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    I got one of the 1812s after the redesign.
    Works great!

I like it better than the W&H.
    (firesuit on)

Its hard to argue with the price and the fact the shop fox comes with variable speed. However the fact that you can call up w&h and have replacement parts (for every model back to the 50's) shipped out the same day is something you can't do with shop fox/grizzly (for example try getting parts for the discontinued 1693/1739 shop fox exact clone of the w&h)

My first w&h had a up close meeting with a 4 lane highway. I had all the replacement parts 4 days later.

What always puzzled me about the clones was why they didn't improve them instead of making them virtually the same. I could understand if they had made them wider, longer base table with built in guides, corrugated knives, etc., but the only difference was selling them cheaper than the W&H.

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray
    I have an older W&amp;H. I have these clamp on guides.
    Hmm, the website for clampthis doesn&#39;t seem to exist anymore...</p>
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-26-2017 at 8:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Some good general usage /setup information
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BWSaWi9BVK2/

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Some good general usage /setup information
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BWSaWi9BVK2/
    That was a cool video, thanks! Looking forward to ordering some knives and getting to work with mine. The hard part is of course deciding on the profiles and trying to be smart about multi-use patterns.

Wish I could find a collection of old knives for cheap, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post

Wish I could find a collection of old knives for cheap, lol.
    That's how I ended up with two moulders.
    IMG_20171030_160359_616.jpg