Thread: A tree fell

A tree fell

image.jpgimage.jpgI've been building lots of benches from trees dying since the drought of 2011. In my search I came across this tree that fell. As trees die the canopy lowers and trees like this can't take the wind load in this sandy soil. I think I'll need a bigger chainsaw. That 170 is 30" long and it's not all the way to the bottom of the tree. It can't cut some of the branches off this dude.

this is an area of my land I very seldom get to. The underbrush is so thick you can't penetrate it. Here is one standing. The leaves are so far up its hard to see but a think it's a sycamore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The real question is did anyone hear it?

Blog Entries
    There is a guy in town who has quite a few chainsaws, some for sale. He has either an 80 or 88" rig he is willing to sell for $1,000. Let me know if you want his information or if you want me to call him to see if he would ship it.

We just took down a cedar tree that was 6' across with a 36" bar on a chainsaw. It took a few hours and a lot of wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    The real question is did anyone hear it?
    Ours shook the whole house when it came down according to my wife.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-22-2017 at 3:00 PM. Reason: add Malcolm quote
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim, I was joking about the saw. I have a 600 echo with a 28" bar. Where it's at I'd have to hire a dozer to get to it. Some of the limbs on this tree are 24-30".

i know this doesn't compare to the trees of the NW, but here in tx on the prairie, it's some kind of tree.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    Thanks Jim, I was joking about the saw. I have a 600 echo with a 28" bar. Where it's at I'd have to hire a dozer to get to it. Some of the limbs on this tree are 24-30".

i know this doesn't compare to the trees of the NW, but here in tx on the prairie, it's some kind of tree.
    I think the big cedar we took down is actually second growth if not third. I know a lot of the local fir and alder are at least third growth.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If I were closer I'd bring this one over to help cut it up. Any idea what species it is?

Scott with 088C.jpg

Just put the longest bar on your saw that you can and take your time. It'll be slow but you'll get through it.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    Where it's at I'd have to hire a dozer to get to it.
    So does this mean it's just likely to sit there?

Sounds like it, sadly, but I get it.

I would be awesome if we were able to harvest and mill these but we're not there yet. Such a shame.

Oh it is horrible(((((

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    So does this mean it's just likely to sit there?

Sounds like it, sadly, but I get it.

I would be awesome if we were able to harvest and mill these but we're not there yet. Such a shame.
    happy thanksgiving folks. Dave, I once had a 3' diameter red oak get struck by lightning, topping the tree. It left a 25' clear standing trunk. I contacted a few local sawmills and no one had interest in the tree, for FREE. Me, by myself can't do much with such trees.

Scott, one heck of a chainsaw. I've been contemplating a 660 or 880 for alaskan mill work. I've been building benches out of dead cedar trees

im not a tree expert but I believe it's a cottonwood.
    Attached Images Attached Images