Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep jaw bar clamps - any options other than Bessey?

Deep jaw bar clamps - any options other than Bessey?

I'm looking for clamps like this --> https://www.amazon.com/Bessey-TG5-51...13KT8QW37F0KV5

5 1/2" jaw depth x 12"+ in length. I've used the Besseys countless times and love them, but am balking at the prices I'm seeing ($40 and up starting at 12" lengths...)

Is there anyone else that makes clamps like these?

Thanks,

Phillip

Blog Entries
    "Like them" will turn out to be a subjective term. I have some inexpensive deep throat clamps that have proven to be very adequate for my needs. When compared to the heavier duty Bessey Tradesmen or the old heavy duty Jorgies they fall short BUT, they work fine for how I use them. All that being said . . . these links will take you to two sources of alternatives to get you started.

Peachtree

Woodtek
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-23-2017 at 10:54 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sometimes you can find Piher clamps on sale, very nice quality clamps, but at retail they are around the same price as Bessey.

I have them all I believe, and my favorite are Records. Can't remember what they cost.

I have a dozen or so Records, but find I rarely reach for them because they are so heavy. And I suspect the copies or similar ilk are the same.

Have you considered deep reach wooden boat cam clamps? I'm in the process of making another dozen, just cut the metal parts earlier this week. Plans came from one of the magazines but can't find the original at the moment (I know I have the printout in the shop). You can make the bar any length, I happen to like 12". I use cold rolled steel now because it is not much more expensive than hot rolled, but the milling is so much nicer. ins I buy from ebay in bags of 100, the rest is shop built from the nicest figured oak I can find. An idea you might consider.

Plans Source: Woodenboat – Sept-October 2014 "A Deep–Reach Clamp for hard-to-get-to areas" by Harry Bryan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 11-23-2017 at 8:29 AM. Reason: added source of plans
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I have a couple of those Bessey deeper clamps and they are great when you need the reach. I wish I had more, sometimes. I don't recall seeing much else with that depth. (Bessey actually has a 10" throat version..."ching...ching..."...major dollars!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Once in a while you can find Stanley’s version at Big Lots. I got 10 for $10 each. Not as good as the Bessey’s, but they do work

That's a little high for the 5x12 clamps, Rockler has the 7x16 for the same price: http://www.rockler.com/bessey-tg-pro...ies-bar-clamps

I bought almost all of mine from Rockler, they put them on sale every couple months or so(or at least they did a few years ago). The composite handles are a lot easier on the hands than the wood ones.

Thanks for the replies.

I was just looking through the Woodcraft catalog that showed up in my mailbox the other day and saw the clamps in question (5 1/2" deep jaws x 12") for ~$30 each. I was surprised, as Woodcraft is usually more expensive than anyone on branded items.

I was hoping there would be a holiday deal somewhere on Bessey clamps. Haven't found it yet, if there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I was just looking through the Woodcraft catalog that showed up in my mailbox the other day and saw the clamps in question (5 1/2" deep jaws x 12") for ~$30 each. I was surprised, as Woodcraft is usually more expensive than anyone on branded items.

I was hoping there would be a holiday deal somewhere on Bessey clamps. Haven't found it yet, if there is one.
    Have a look at the Peachtree Woodworking site and you'll find some deep reach clams that look to less than what you're quoting from Woodcraft. I think they have some sort of Black Friday deal going this weekend also but it might be limited to certain items.

Here's the page, you may need to scroll down because somethings off with their website - https://www.ptreeusa.com/clamp_deep_throat.htm
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 11-25-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Not really wood clamps, but kant-twist makes a good deep throated clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Not really wood clamps, but kant-twist makes a good deep throated clamp.
    I kind of forgot about them, only have a couple, but I agree they are awesome in the right instance. Kinda pricy, but great for odd shapes.

Menards masterforce had some at one time reasonably priced.

Woodcraft has all Besseys at 20% off right now.

I'm guessing the OP doesn't want to hear about the score or so of assorted deep reach Besseys that I got for about $10 a pop during the Great Borg Clamp Shuffle (both Home Depot and Lowes switched primary clamp vendors, lotsa clearance deals resulted). Too bad, gotta gloat!

Seriously though, the deeper reach F-clamps are rarely ever cheap. The boat builder's clamps above look like a fine option, IF you're interested in putting the time into a build.

Check Harry J Epsteins, they may have what you're looking for at a price you're comfortable with, although you'll likely have to call them because their listings for the Bessey clamps don't include throat depth.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.