Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle 100 Pocket Hole Machine

Castle 100 Pocket Hole Machine

Anyone try or have one of these new Castle 100 Pocket Hole Machines? If so let us know your thoughts. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ0FnXT3x_E
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I always got too much slip with the Kreg system. The castle looks like the joint slips way less but just a little. I might give it a try when I have some production grade work today.

At $450 for a machine that requires manual clamping, a separate drilling operation, and is designed for only 3/4" material (requires shimming for thinner material), I'll stick with my Kreg DB210.

I hope some will chime in as to a comparison of the Kreg and Castle systems. I've been told that joint creep is an issue with Kreg and Castle minimizes that and provides a cleaner looking pocket but have no experience with either. Up to now the smallest Castle was the 12 and they seldom come up used ( usually an indication that they are liked ). The bigger Castle units are out of reach for hobby use so the new 100 may fill a need. I think the 450 includes the router, bits, and a clamp. It looks like it is handy for panel use vs the larger 12. Dave

I use a castle floor model at work, definitely suffers less creep than the kreg system, stuff just doesn't slide around as much especially with glue, but parts can still move, so secure clamping still required. Guy in the video link above talks a lot about the "look" of the screw slot. I'd file that under who really cares? Seriously...they are both ugly! But its hidden joinery, so to me irrelevant. For the money I'd think a kreg forman might be faster and easier than that two step process. The castle floor models are super convenient, ours has a foot pedal that activates the whole cycle, could probably do 30 slots per minute if you could move the wood that fast.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

For $450, I'd spend another $1k and get a used TSM21.

Castle does make a superior pocket. The angle is lower, it's actually predrilled all the way through the material, it's adjustable in every way you'd need it to be, and it places the centerline of the screw head much deeper into the material.

I have two at work, I wouldn't go another way. Be wary of the used ones with the light duty Porter Cable trim router for the pilot hole drilling. They aren't made anymore and they're kind of a crappy router so they do go out.

Also, if you have a TSM 21 already, get a half inch shank, (it comes with a 3/8" collet), 3/8" fluting bit and set it so it cuts the pocket as shallow as possible. You can crank the cycle speed up significantly. The HSS bits last a long time of your just cutting hardwood, engineered material beats them up pretty quickly though.
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 11-24-2017 at 7:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    For $450, I'd spend another $1k and get a used TSM21.

Castle does make a superior pocket. The angle is lower, it's actually predrilled all the way through the material, it's adjustable in every way you'd need it to be, and it places the centerline of the screw head much deeper into the material.

I have two at work, I wouldn't go another way. Be wary of the used ones with the light duty Porter Cable trim router for the pilot hole drilling. They aren't made anymore and they're kind of a crappy router so they do go out.
    How quick are the 21s to adjust to center on different thickness of stock? Like going from 3/4 to 1&3/16 face frames?

I have a Castle TSM21, and an old style Kreg Foreman (electric model). I am just a hobby guy, but my experience is that the Castle makes a better pocket hole, and I especially like that it also completes the screw hole.

This being said, I actually use my Kreg Foreman much more. As a hobbyist, I do not like to bother getting the Castle out from the back of the shop and fire up the compressor to make just a dozen holes. I have the Foreman setting on a bench, lined up with my RAS and my CMS. It serves as an additional table to hold long stock, so it stays there, ready to go. I often turn to it because it is there, and works fine. I intend to sell the Castle when I get around to the next step in clearing out little used machines. Tool junkie trying to reform.

I also had a Porter Cable Benchtop copy of the older small Castle benchtop. It worked fine, but was more trouble than the Foreman, because of the manual clamp. I loaned it permanently to a friend.

For commercial use, I would have the Castle out in the shop permanently set up, but for my hobby use, I do the above.

Rick P
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    How quick are the 21s to adjust to center on different thickness of stock? Like going from 3/4 to 1&3/16 face frames?
    There's no adjustment for moving the centerline of the drill up. Shouldn't be necessary if the stock is square. You can adjust the depth of the drill, the depth of the pocket, and how much material is left between the edge of the pocket and the edge of the material. Ours are all set at 13/16" pocket to edge to give a 1½" screw 11/16" of penetration. We use that number so the screw won't blow through 3/4" material if you're paying attention.

What is the difference between the older TSM 20 and newer 21? Are they the ones with the PC laminate router? Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    What is the difference between the older TSM 20 and newer 21? Are they the ones with the PC laminate router? Dave
    I'm not certain, but I think the 20 had the older PC laminate trimmer. The good one. I think the main router has always been the same PC router until they switched to Bosch.

I want to say I've seen that info on their website.

I'm guessing PC 7301. Dave

The TSM 21 from the shops I have talked to have said the TSM 21 is the gold standard for pocket machines.
    I own an old Kreg 200 - the all metal version, that I bought probably 20-25 years ago, before they went plastic. It has been, and continues to be a good, but slow setup.
    However, I would not entrust Kreg with another dime of my money. As soon as they went plastic, they immediately stopped supporting my version. The foot pedal died after about 8-10 years, they had no parts, and wouldn't even recommend or sell a retrofit foot pedal from the newer lineup.
    The biggest part of the reason I buy domestic tools is parts support.
    They wanted to sell me a new plastic POC.
    Someday, I hope to find a used TSM 21, but those things never go cheap!

Back to the original question does anyone have one or have used the Castle 100?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006