Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone dust bin lifts when on

Cyclone dust bin lifts when on

I have an Oneida V3000 dust collector. I am running a 10 foot flex hose to a 4" reducer at my table saw. When I power on, the dust drum lifts up, compressing any give in the shirt flex pipe connecting the bottom of the cone and the bin.

How can I alleviate this? Is the fan being choked? There are no branches. It is a straight connection to one tool at a time.

I have a 35 gal bin on my 5 hp Oneida Dust Gorilla. I do not see it lifting up.

Do you have a gauge on your filter? I put a Magnahelic gauge on the filter to know when the back pressure is going up and filter needs cleaning. I typically see 1-3 psi on the filter.

I think a gauge would help figure it out. While a Magnahelic gauge is nice, a u-tube water manometer will work well.

It's not a problem.

Thanks guys. Johnny, wouldn't bin lifting mean that the cyclone is trying to vaccuum out the dust bin? Wouldn't this cause premature filter clogging?

As Jonny says, "not a problem." Everything "before" the impeller is under suction. The collection canister rising (hose above compressing) means there is enough vacuum to do just that. As the canister fills and filter back pressure increases it will at some point stop happening. It actually illustrates that any air leaks in the canister will make it very hard for dust to drop out of the cyclone into the canister.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

The bin lifting only means that the suction is greater than the weight of the bin. The lifting suggests that your seal is good, which means that air is not flowing from the bin to the impeller. If no air is flowing in that direction, no dust can flow in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Thanks guys. Johnny, wouldn't bin lifting mean that the cyclone is trying to vaccuum out the dust bin? Wouldn't this cause premature filter clogging?

Nope. The bin is under vacuum, but with no air movement its not going to pull anything out.

We have a collector with 55 gallon fiber drum and its off the ground til the drum is half full. It's a sign of a well performing system.

Mine did the same thing until it was about 1/4 full on a V3000. I put a Dwyer mini-helic gauge in the plenum before the bin and it confirmed all was working well. Never had a problem with it in the 4 years that I owned it.
    Dick Mahany.

Only one possible problem I see, but unlikely

I am not familiar with that system, bin, or means of securing the lid. The only problem I see is if the lid is held on by suction only and not clips AND the force needed to pull the lid off was less than the force from the vacuum accordion plus the friction. (Mine uses a 30gal metal trash can and is friction fit only.) Then as the bin began to fill past the critical point the weight might pull off the lid and subsequent dust and chips would go into the filters.

This is probably impossible with a strong suction while the cyclone is running, but a friction-fit lid could conceivably separate when the system is turned off when the can is partially filled AND before the flex has a chance to relax (perhaps if it gets very cold and stiff). A possible test for this: pull down the bin while the cyclone starts and runs and continue to pull while you have someone turn it off. If it does separate at any point, perhaps either add clips or put some bricks on top the lid.

If the lid is already secured, then nevermind!

JKJ

John, the bins supplied by Oneida have traditional barrel tops and connections; the top is snug and then a clamping ring goes over the edge of the top and the corresponding edge of the drum and once clamped is air-tight.

The behavior is normal and not an issue, Prashun. It's just an indicator of great air-flow that's capable of physically lifting the drum off the floor when empty or only partially filled.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Duh. Now I see what you mean. The fact that it's lifting means it can't draw any make up air from the bin, which means it cannot suck UP what's in the bin. Once the bin gets heavy with dust, the force of gravity will be too great, and the bin will stay planted. Thanks.

John, Jim's right: my fiber drum has a locking ring.

I'm curious. Does the drum lift when there is nothing but the main hose without any adaptor on it? With a single 4" feeding the DC it is only getting at best 1/3 of the air that it is designed to handle.

Like others have stated Prashun, when my fiber barrel is empty it is lifted off the floor. After enough dust is collected in it, it remains grounded.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Not a problem. ALL of the dust collectors I've used have done this when they are working correctly. I had two separate school shops both with 15HP dust collectors and two 55 gallon steel drums for chip barrels, and the suction would lift both barrels up off the ground. I never did bother with clips or other fasteners for the lids. I have an older Penn State 3 HP cyclone at home with a 50 or so gallon fiber barrel with a plastic lid and clamping ring, and it does the same thing.