Thread: My downsized shop for woodturning

My downsized shop for woodturning

Hello All,
    Showing photos of some of machines that moved with me when I downsized. Old shop was 20' x 28' plus that much more when needed. I will be showing my lathes benches and what I use to cut segments. I have 3 saws, one does rip and parallel cuts to do segments on the Dubby after the rips. There is a model saw, model disc sander and model drum sander for the small stuff that's not safe to cut on my larger saw. The Elu chop saw will do stave construction and cross cutting for under 7". (I miss my Delta Unisaw, jointer, planer and Powermatic bandsaw). Current shop is 10' x 24' and 1/ 2 half of a double garage. The garage is actually a 3 car garage. I have benches, tool boxes and closet maid shelves. I used horse mats for the 10' x 24' part. It has taken me a 1 1/2 years to set up the shop. Made a decision to have 220 wired in, insulation in the ceiling, and installed new insulated garage doors. Down to one car now which helps. Dust is a problem, in the future perhaps a dust collection system. Using vacs.now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by George Troy Hurlburt View Post
    Hello All,
    Showing photos of some of machines that moved with me when I downsized. Old shop was 20' x 28' plus that much more when needed. I will be showing my lathes benches and what I use to cut segments. I have 3 saws, one does rip and parallel cuts to do segments on the Dubby after the rips. There is a model saw, model disc sander and model drum sander for the small stuff that's not safe to cut on my larger saw. The Elu chop saw will do stave construction and cross cutting for under 7". (I miss my Delta Unisaw, jointer, planer and Powermatic bandsaw). Current shop is 10' x 24' and 1/ 2 half of a double garage. The garage is actually a 3 car garage. I have benches, tool boxes and closet maid shelves. I used horse mats for the 10' x 24' part. It has taken me a 1 1/2 years to set up the shop. Made a decision to have 220 wired in, insulation in the ceiling, and installed new insulated garage doors. Down to one car now which helps. Dust is a problem, in the future perhaps a dust collection system. Using vacs.now.
    That looks functional! Hey, what kind of model saw do you have? I've been thinking of getting one and would love to hear recommendations.

JKJ

Machines are Byrnes model machines, I have had mine since 2008 be warned they are not cheap, made in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by George Troy Hurlburt View Post
    Machines are Byrnes model machines, I have had mine since 2008 be warned they are not cheap, made in USA.
    Thanks. I've considered a small saw for some time and started looking for one again after a recent post. The Byrnes was recommended there, too. I read some reviews on other models and it appears Byrnes is the one to get. No luck finding a used one so far, have to start saving up.

JKJ

I think you need a few more lathes, George. And seriously, it appears you did a good job with setting up and sizing the new shop for the work you love to do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I didn't show you the little Vicmarc under the 175 Vic that I use for demos. I have brought and sold a series of lathes over 30 years. Maybe I should have stayed with the Shopsmith I brought in 1980. That is one machine I will have until the end.

Note, I forgot at least I have not been buying boats like my son. Cars or golf clubs don't count.