Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimax SC2 sliding table repair...

Minimax SC2 sliding table repair...

I am buying a Sc2 sliding saw off a friend ,picking it up this weekend. The sliding table is not real smooth. My plan is to take it apart and clean everything with mineral spirits and then reassemble and lubricate. Has anyone done this ? What if any lubricant are you supposed to use ? Any advice on how to take it apart properly would be great as well. Thanks,Mike.

If you have not done so already, get the manuals off of PartsPronto so you can see how things fit together if you don't have the paper manuals from your seller. That will help you out a lot. (I recently did this for my S315WS when I discovered the original manual, um...disappeared...or more likely got put in a "safe place" so it wouldn't, um...get lost ) I'm guessing that a complete cleaning will really help get things moving again.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim thanks for the reply. Do you lubricate your slider at all ? Or is it just a keep it clean so it does'nt get gummed up proposition ?I will download the manual from parts pronto. I will be picking up the saw tomorrow. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Jim thanks for the reply. Do you lubricate your slider at all ? Or is it just a keep it clean so it does'nt get gummed up proposition ?I will download the manual from parts pronto. I will be picking up the saw tomorrow. Mike.
    The manual that came with my SC2 is very clear...do not lubricate the slider. Keep it clean by vacuuming any chips or dust and wiping down the bearing surfaces with a cloth.

I just keep it clean...generally with compressed air.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So I picked up the saw and a General 260 lathe today. As soon as I was back at my shop I started checking it out and taking the slider apart. It was actually fairly easy to figure out and take apart. Cleaned up the ways and ran my fingers over carefully to check for any burrs ,the whole works slides on a cage that holds on my saw six ball bearings in place. The bearings are in opposing v-grooves with an adjustable alley to take up any slack between the two tracks. The bearings themselves are slightly scared up. the steel "ways" that form the sides of the v-grooves are fine ,smooth with no noticeable wear. Where would one get bearings if parts pronto does not have them ? The riving knife is also gone. Mike.

Here are some screenshots from the 2012 online parts manual. These match with the printed parts manual that came with my 2016 saw.

The bearings are Item 5, and you will need 12 for a complete replacement.

SC2-Ball-1.jpg

SC2-Ball-2.jpg

There are two riving knives available for the SC2. One is for the standard shroud and the other is for the suspended shroud. The part number highlighted is for the standard shroud.

SC2_Riving-1.jpg

SC2-Riving-2.jpg

If you can't find a source, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do with the local German distributor. I had to order a replacement lower dust shroud for my saw and I had it in two days.

Blog Entries
    I think the riving knife on the Powermatic slider was around $250 and other parts unavailable. Parts for the Altendorf WA8 dealer only. I would replace all bearings on the SC2 if possible...We have an SC2 but unsure about getting replacement parts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    Here are some screenshots from the 2012 online parts manual. These match with the printed parts manual that came with my 2016 saw.

The bearings are Item 5, and you will need 12 for a complete replacement.

SC2-Ball-1.jpg

SC2-Ball-2.jpg

There are two riving knives available for the SC2. One is for the standard shroud and the other is for the suspended shroud. The part number highlighted is for the standard shroud.

SC2_Riving-1.jpg

SC2-Riving-2.jpg

If you can't find a source, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do with the local German distributor. I had to order a replacement lower dust shroud for my saw and I had it in two days.
    Any pricing available on the 12 bearings?

Mike thanks for the offer. I will definitely get in touch if I can't find a solution here. I checked out McMaster-Carr's website last night, after measuring my bearings with a caliper. Diameter is .625 which translates to 5/8'' according to a conversion chart on the site. There are three alloy choices . I would need advice on which one to pick, thoughts ,anyone ever done this ? MIke.

My guess, and only a guess is that you would want the balls to be softer than the ways so they develop the wear. I'm also surprised that they are not a metric measurement. I'd go first to parts pronto and buy unless totally outrageous. If you are incorporating dust collection into the blade guard, I'd go the Sharkguard and have two riving knives made that fit their hood with a 3-4" port. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Any pricing available on the 12 bearings?
    I sent an email to my supplier asking for the price and lead time, but he won't see the email until tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I'd go first to parts pronto and buy unless totally outrageous.
    Have you purchased anything from Parts Pronto? Raking you over the coals on parts is their pricing model...

Per above, I'd also be very surprised if the balls weren't metric but you could by sets of .625 and 16mm from McMaster to see which is best. The hard wear-resistant E52100 balls aren't real expensive and McMaster are great about accepting returns.

You might also post the same question over on the Yahoo MiniMax forum. I'm sure this topic has come up.

I've found the partspronto pricing bad but no worse than any machine supplier. I would at least find out what the price is. You can register and get a quote online. Carissa Stanford has always been my contact unless I need troubleshooting. Then Pete is my go to. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Mike thanks for the offer. I will definitely get in touch if I can't find a solution here. I checked out McMaster-Carr's website last night, after measuring my bearings with a caliper. Diameter is .625 which translates to 5/8'' according to a conversion chart on the site. There are three alloy choices . I would need advice on which one to pick, thoughts ,anyone ever done this ? MIke.
    I sent you a PM with the prices and delivery time.