Thread: Grass 34 feet tall

Grass 34 feet tall

According to a page from Southern Living magazine, Bitter panic grass and serveral other grasses grow "34 feet tall" http://www.southernliving.com/plants...ss-panic-grass .

Of course, this must be a typo for "3 to 4 feet tall". Since everything we read on the internet is supposed to be true, I emailed Southern Living about this error. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to correct it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well we do have marsh grasses that grow 8' tall here, but still.

And it spreads to 23 feet.

folks around here have Pampas grass that goes over 12 ft. Heck, a farmer near here grows some novelty corn that gets about 12-14 ft tall. 34 feet would make me feel like a vole in a meadow. I need some of that. Wonder if it is good for hay. If it grew 34 ft a year, qa farmer could get about 12 cuttings a year.

The Bitter Panicgrass piece in Southern Living is probably a typo but it's worth noting that some types of bamboo can grow up to 65' in height.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    The Bitter Panicgrass piece in Southern Living is probably a typo but it's worth noting that some types of bamboo can grow up to 65' in height.
    And, from that article:
    Certain species of bamboo can grow 91 cm (36 in) within a 24-hour period,

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    That's what I was thinking when I first read it. I think of Bamboo as a tropical plant but there's a place nearby that has bamboo planted as a fence that has to be about 20' high.

And then there's kudzu, which, left alone, will grow as high as any adjacent object.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    That's what I was thinking when I first read it. I think of Bamboo as a tropical plant but there's a place nearby that has bamboo planted as a fence that has to be about 20' high.
    Bamboo is a grass! Also several species exist in non-tropical climates throughout Asia.

Giant bamboo is the world's tallest grass plant, with some species in India reportedly reaching 151 feet (46 meters). Bamboo is also one of the world's fastest growing plants with reported maximum growth rates of 98 inches (250 cm) in 24 hours.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

There should be a way to combine pvc pipe fittings with bamboo to make interesting furniture. Of course combining plastic fittings with something that is "natural" isn't as quaint as a design that is "all natural". However, the all natural ways I see on the web (using strings or clever joinery) look very labor intensive.

There is a bamboo that is native to North America. Doesn't get as big as the stuff from Asia, but spreads pretty quickly. They used to call patches of it "cane breaks" I believe.