Thread: Advice on making additional wolverine oneway base

Advice on making additional wolverine oneway base

I want to make an addtional base (part of jig with red plastic handles) for my Oneway Wolverine jig so I can use it on another grinder

I have a length of box section

Can anyone please advice on the best approach
    My initial thoughts were to tap a hole for a threaded knob but I do not have a tap

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    I want to make an addtional base (part of jig with red plastic handles) for my Oneway Wolverine jig so I can use it on another grinder
    I have a length of box section
    Can anyone please advice on the best approach
    My initial thoughts were to tap a hole for a threaded knob but I do not have a tap
    I don't understand, what do you mean by "box section"? Do you mean you have a section of standard square steel tubing the V-arm will slide into? If not, perhaps explain. If so, what is the wall thickness? If not thick enough to support threads a typical method is to drill a hole then weld a threaded nut to the outside. Then the tubing will need to be somehow secured to the bench, probably best done with more welding. However, if you don't even have a tap I suspect you might not have everything needed to do this yourself. A weld or machine shop might do it for you but it might be more expensive than just buying another base, about $35.

Another option is to make one from wood. I made this diagram to accompany a document on how to make an entire sharpening system from wood for about $10 - perhaps a bit of creative woodworking could make one angled to fit a standard Wolverine V-arm.

sharpening_system_wood2.png

Another option might be to post a WantedToBuy message in the Classifieds section here. I have spare bases and others might as well but unlike me might be willing to part with one. To post on Classifieds you do have to be a Contributor instead of a Member but that's only 50 cents a month (and helps to keep the lights on here!) and has lots of other advantages: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/payments.php

JKJ

John Thank you for your post

Do you mean you have a section of standard square steel tubing the V-arm will slide into?

Yes that is correct

Box section is a a name used in the Uk for square steel tubing , the wall thickness is 2.5mm

I may be able to get help at the woodwork class I attend as the school has a metalwork section

Would you suggest exporing if I am able to identify if they have tools to tap a hole or having a threaed nut welded to the square steel tubing

regards Brian

Brian, if you drill a hole in the outer piece of square tubing, then solder/weld/bronze a nut to it, you will be able to use a bolt in the nut to tighten down on the inner piece of tubing. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain, if not feel free to contact me.
    Len

Brian,

That's probably the way I would make one since I already have everything needed in my shop.

Square steel tubing like that is often made by folding sheet steel and welding a seam down one side. Since this can leave extra steel inside it may need to be removed for smooth adjustment, but you probably already know that if you have the pieces in hand and have tested.

2.5mm is too thin for threads so you will need to add some thickness. (I'd probably want at least 3-4 threads in the metal and at least a 6mm bolt, maybe 8mm) There are several ways to add thickness including welding on a piece of thicker plate then drilling and tapping. It is easier to use a nut - drill a clearance hole for the bolt first then tack weld a nut centered over the hole. You have to make sure it is centered enough so the bolt will clear the hole or you will have to grind it off and weld on another. (Align, clamp, weld) I'd probably use one of those bolts with a handle that can be repositioned by pressing in the center. A steel bolt will eventually mar up the v-arm if tightened hard but it shouldn't need to be tightened too hard. If that's an issue maybe find a brass bolt.

Depending on how perfectly the v-arm fits into the square tubing (box section), if there was any play/movement with just one tightening bolt you might add a second.

I would weld the square tubing to a thick flat plate (perhaps 6mm?) so it stands up on one corner as needed by the v-arm. You would want to be sure it is straight so if you use a platform rest it will be perpendicular to the wheel. I'd probably do the fastener first then insert the platform arm so I could use a square to align the square tubing perfectly, then tack weld the tubing to the plate. The heat of a tack weld on one side can change the alignment of the square tubing so I would clamp the tubing firmly to the steel base plate (and that to the table as below) and make a short tack on one side then immediately a matching one on the other side to balance. Preheating the whole thing with a torch can help but not everyone is set up for that. With welding every piece must be cleaned carefully with solvent to remove any oils and ground, sanded, or wire brushed to expose clean steel.

Steel plate can warp from the heat if you use a continuous weld but a fairly thick section of plate is less likely to warp, especially if you use a series of short tack welds (each end, both sides, then in the middle) letting the heat of one dissipate a bit before doing the next one. Also, it is best to clamp the base plate firmly to a heavy welding table to help if it does want to warp a bit. Extreme welds are not needed since the final assembly does not need to be very strong - in fact it would probably be strong enough if you fastened the square tubing to the plate with epoxy, something equivalent to JB Weld, with a generous fillet.

I normally wouldn't describe things in this much detail but in a school there is a chance someone who volunteers to help may not be experienced. If you get an experienced person they will know all this (and probably better ways!) The welding itself will be very quick but the setup takes a bit of time.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    John Thank you for your post
    Do you mean you have a section of standard square steel tubing the V-arm will slide into?
    Yes that is correct
    Box section is a a name used in the Uk for square steel tubing, the wall thickness is 2.5mm
    I may be able to get help at the woodwork class I attend as the school has a metalwork section
    Would you suggest exporing if I am able to identify if they have tools to tap a hole or having a threaed nut welded to the square steel tubing
    regards Brian

John
    A huge thank you for the detailed post
    I will explore after Christmas if it is possible to complete the work at the woodwork evening class and report back

Again a huge thanks

regards Brian

Best option (in my opinion) is order base from Oneway (part #2795, $32.95 US). - John