Thread: New blade for the mitresaw

New blade for the mitresaw

While driving the Boss around while she was shopping Friday.....decided to shop a bit for myself. Stopped at a converted lumberyard place, that is now an Antique Store. Walked straight through the "Showroom" as these were too high priced for me. Out a side door to the old lumber storage barn....

IF things are found in the barn, rather than the show room, very good deals can be had......
    backsaw.jpg
    Like this 4" x 24" back saw wannabe....A tad rusty, but not pitted. Plate was straight, and the teeth had set, and were quite sharp....a "diamond in the rough". Carried this "treasure to the front desk.....noticed two wood bodied molding planes hanging on the wall....when last I saw those two, they were covered in yellow fuzzy mold, and could have been had for $5 each......all cleaned up, and in the Showroom....they were marked as $42..EACH....ouch.

Saw had some good points and some not so good ones. One "good point"? Price was $5.38 counting sales taxes......

Bad points? Mainly the bolts, holding that blocky, blister causing handle in place...
    bolt ugly.jpg
    yeah....these will have to be removed and tossed far away
    bad bolts.jpg
    Anyone need some mini-carriage bolts? Didn't think so...
    How about these, instead?
    better bolts.jpg
    Rounded the sharp corners off on the handle..
    show side.jpg
    Looks like I need to sharpen a forstner bit....
    Once my hand liked the fit of the handle, and the plate was all nice and shiny..
    assembly time.jpg
    I re-assemble the saw, gave the handle a wipe-on coat of Amber Shellac, and set up a mitre box for the test runs..
    mitre saw.jpg
    I think this will do....NOW I can send out the other saw to be sharpened. Mitre box is a Stanley #2246. The saw that needs sharpened is a 4"x 26".

test cut.jpg
    The "new" one cuts fast, and straight, no binding. And..no blisters on my hand. I can use this mitresaw for stock that is too long for the Langdon to hold, as things are in the way over there. Here, I can trim down 8' planks to length. Might be worth the price of the saw.....

When the mitre box isn't in use, I can hang the saw up beside the other one..
    IMG_2519 (640x480).jpg
    Keeps them out of trouble, that way....

<p>
    Hey Steven,</p>
    <p>
    Ya did good! For $5.38.....real good.</p>
    <p>
    I am surprised how much better the handle looks with the edges rounded off, not to mention how much better it must work. I hate those blister maker handles.</p>
    <p>
    I have 14&quot; back saw that needs exactly the same treatment, and I hope to give it exactly the same treatment that you gave the miter box saw. I had been planning to make a new handle with a much older type profile, but seeing how much better the handle on your saw looks and performs by just rounding things off a bit, I may try that first.....a lot less work than making a new handle. Good post.</p>
    <p>
    Thanks and regards,</p>
    <p>
    Stew</p>
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 11-26-2017 at 3:44 PM.

I had a saw and mitrebox like that once. I also reshaped the horrible original handle ...

Quite nice wood underneath ... Maple?

Regards from Perth

Perth