Thread: newb here. Have any of you made built-ins with an electric fireplace insert?

newb here. Have any of you made built-ins with an electric fireplace insert?

Hey all. I'm finally in a home I can see myself in for a long time to come. One of its shortcomings is there is no fireplace. I am in the brainstorming phase of this project. I was thinking of making a built-in case for an electric fireplace insert flanked by open bookcases on either side. My question is, since the insert will put out heat, is there anything I need to consider heat safety-wise or structural considerations? can I build a plywood case for it to slide into? do I need to frame it with 2x4 and then plywood over it? I don't know what one of these inserts would weigh. It'll most likely be painted white to go with the rest of the trim. It is going in a smallish living room (11X11) so I don't want anything too gaudy or overpowering.

Thank you!

Blog Entries
    You would be well advised to get a copy of the manufacturers installation instructions for the model you plan to use and read the warnings with regard to proximity of combustible materials to various surfaces. Their instructions are usually pretty specific since those devices are UL and/or CSA listed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yes, get the installation instructions. The details are different for every heater but they will tell you what you have to do to comply with fire safety regulations. They will give required clearances, materials allowable etc. It will be no more complex than installing a wall/under bench oven in a kitchen. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

weight is very little probably under 50 pounds.
    Electric resistance heat is the most costly there is. NG is cheapest.
    Bill