Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LN Rabbet Block Plane - Useful?

It is more versatile to the RH and LH skew block plane. There is no guiderails on the side which could be an issue. I have it but do not use it as my primary block plane.
    I either use the LN 102 or Quangsheng Low angle block plane nowadays. I still have my DX 60 ready to go.

I may hold off for now. I have a fine complement of both low and standard angle block planes that can be used on cheeks, even though I'll need to use a shoulder plane or chisel up close to the shoulders. I usually add a little relief there anyway to capture glue squeeze out.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I owned one for about a year, but sold it. I got more utility from a large shoulder plane and a smaller 'apron'/102-style block plane. I suspect this is a matter of personal preference, though.

It worked just fine.

I use the rabbet block plane as my main block plane.

This is one of those planes that looks like it will be useful. However, I have had one for a dozen years and used it once each year. It overlaps with other planes: A shoulder plane is better squaring rebates. A skew block plane is better on on end grain or planing cross grain, such as on fielded panels. A rabbet jack plane is better with raised panels.

Regards from Perth

Derek