Thread: Finishing Makore Veneer on MDF core

Blog Entries

Finishing Makore Veneer on MDF core

EDIT: Looking for something I can apply either fully by hand, or by hand and then followed up with random orbit buffer. This is the first-time I am attempting to finish a veneer on MDF as well, I have only finished liveslabs/lumber for furniture before using tung-oil/beeswax.

Hey all,
    Decided to grab some makore veneer from certainly wood laid out on MDF core from superior in indiana. What would y'all suggest for a finish? I did a search on here, and saw a few different suggestions from shellac (no thanks) to waterlox (too much sheen)

Are y'all familar with Rubio Monocoat? It is a matte finish, zero sheen, it is like a black hole and sucks up reflections/light. This is what I am looking for.
    I saw someone mention putting some alcohol on the Makore first to make the grain pop more? It is Quarter sawn makore, here is a link to the batch.

https://www.certainlywood.com/images...AKORE%201701-1

It is a lot more red in person than it is in the picture on the website.

IMG_1682.jpg

These are the floors I am trying to work with. And obviously just a BB carcass
    Last edited by mike waters; 11-26-2017 at 12:45 PM.

I've used Danish Oil on Makore before and like the results but it will leave a sheen if you apply enough coats. Lately I have been using General Finishes. First coat is General Finishes Seal a Cell, then topcoat with General Finishes Arm-A Seal Oil and Urethane finish. I mainly use Semi-gloss and then buff to get final sheen where I want it to be. They have it in Satin.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I've used Danish Oil on Makore before and like the results but it will leave a sheen if you apply enough coats. Lately I have been using General Finishes. First coat is General Finishes Seal a Cell, then topcoat with General Finishes Arm-A Seal Oil and Urethane finish. I mainly use Semi-gloss and then buff to get final sheen where I want it to be. They have it in Satin.

Jim
    Jim - thanks for the reply!
    Any chance this stuff can be applied without HVLP? I don't have a setup and have never sprayed before either :/

I should have mentioned that in my original post, this is why rubio monocoat was so appealing to me.
    I should also mention, this is the first time I am ever finishing any veneer in a kitchen area.
    Most of the work I've done in the past are live slab's that I used tung oil on/beeswax

edit1: watching videos on it now, very cool! it seems to be applied by hand!

edit2: also saw Sam Maloof Poly/oil? Any experience with that?

edit3: WATERLOX SEALER? After watching more videos, this finish seems to look the most natural?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PryTA4pzTZ4

He shows the difference @5:41 into video.
    Last edited by mike waters; 11-26-2017 at 1:07 PM.

Mike,
    That's the beauty of the General Finishes Arm-a Seal.....it can be wiped on. One thing I have found is to be careful and "Very Lightly" make a last pass over it as you wipe it on. This will prevent any streaking as it dries.

Jim

Mike
    The products Jim recommended are very forgiving, very easy to work with and get good results.
    I used the General Finishes Arm-R-Seal in satin to do our kitchen floor, and have done many projects with it.
    I actually don't think the manufacturer recommends spraying it.
    Jim is correct about that last pass. It needs to be a "wet edge" and very light.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)