Thread: OT-Three Wishes

OT-Three Wishes

Anyone see "Three Wishes" on NBC tonight?

One of the three stories concerned a man and wife, who, upon retirement started a shop, in a small metal building, called "The Happy Factory". They, with friends and volunteers make simple wooden toys for poor children. They've made (I think they said) over half a million, and shipped them worldwide. During a scene showing some children receiving them the commentator said that for some children these might be the only toy they EVER receive. The kid's excitement was obvious.

The couple puts all of their own available funds into the ongoing operation. All toys are given for free.

Anyway, the show sent them out of the country to witness some children receiving the toys (the couple have never been present for that), and while they were away bought them a much larger commercial building in Salt Lake, remodeled it into offices and shop, equipped it with lots of tools, enough to supply many workers, and bought them a fine new box truck for local deliveries. Fed Ex donated $50,000 of free worldwide shipping.

What a great, meaningful way to spend a retirement!!!

Gary

I don't watch TV but this sounds like maybe I should from time to time.

God is good.

Keith Outten wanted to start up a project for toys where creekers make stuff like that and donate the projects to various institutions. It never took off....but, from your story, it sounds very worthwhile. Nice!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sutherland
    Anyone see "Three Wishes" on NBC tonight?

One of the three stories concerned a man and wife, who, upon retirement started a shop, in a small metal building, called "The Happy Factory". They, with friends and volunteers make simple wooden toys for poor children. They've made (I think they said) over half a million, and shipped them worldwide. During a scene showing some children receiving them the commentator said that for some children these might be the only toy they EVER receive. The kid's excitement was obvious.

The couple puts all of their own available funds into the ongoing operation. All toys are given for free.

Anyway, the show sent them out of the country to witness some children receiving the toys (the couple have never been present for that), and while they were away bought them a much larger commercial building in Salt Lake, remodeled it into offices and shop, equipped it with lots of tools, enough to supply many workers, and bought them a fine new box truck for local deliveries. Fed Ex donated $50,000 of free worldwide shipping.

What a great, meaningful way to spend a retirement!!!

Gary

I did see it....it was a nice story...did you see the kickback from the sander? And the host then says....oh maybe I should be wearing my safety goggles....it was real good footage of the toy flying back past her head and it may have even hit the girl that was behind her.

t.v.

i haven`t owned a t.v. for 15+ years maybe i`ll reconsider. good story !

We should see as much of stories like that as we do the latest killing, etc. Would it not be nice if there was a story like that at the end of every news show? The show hosts wouldn't like it too much because it would be hard to play "hardball" with a sweet couple who gave it all away. ;-) Saints, cool.

While it is no doubt a heartwarming story, I hope they don't find themselves saddled with a lot of unexpected expenses they can't afford now due to higher maintenence costs of the new building. Sometimes charity only works on a small scale. None the less, I wish them the best.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome