Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is variable speed?

How important is variable speed?

I am about to crack open the wallet and buy my first lathe.

Space and budget limit me to either a Jet 1221, or a Nova 16/24.

The Nova has more hp, and more length. It does not have 'turn the knob' speed control.

So, what does the turning hive think?
    Last edited by Gary Cunningham; 11-26-2017 at 8:11 PM. Reason: Typo

Gary, I first started turning on a lathe that did not have variable speed and for the most part I didn't find changing belts to be all that cumbersome. There were times though that I got lazy and left the belt where it was when I probably would have benefited from changing it. Then I bought a Rikon 70-220VSR with the variable speed. The variable speed is something that made turning easier for me. Its nice to find just the right speed where as with belts there are times you will either be too slow or too fast. I should mention that most variable speed lathes will still have a belt that many need to be changed but it won't be as frequent of a change.

I have since moved up to a full size lathe which has the variable speed. I turn at the Vet's garage in Spokane once a week and they have four lathes. They have a Jet mini lathe that does not have variable speed and is rarely if ever used. The Jet 12-21 with variable speed is used quite frequently but the Rikon 70-220 (they bought my old one) is the most sought after lathe in the shop. I've heard good things about the Nova and I'm okay using the Jet as well but I'm partial to the Rikon. I don't know what the price is on the two lathes you mentioned or what your budget is but Woodcraft has the Rikon 70-220 VSR on sale until 12/24 for $499.99, best price I've ever seen for it. Maybe add it to your list of lathes to consider.

And welcome to turning!!

Variable speed is a convenience as thousands will tell you they learned and used a non-variable speed lathe.

That being said, variable is handy. When you mount an out of balance blank, it's nice to lower the speed until you are able to turn it into a better balanced blank and then be able to turn it up to a higher RPM that provides for smoother, faster turning. When I finish on the lathe, it's nice to adjust the speed to prevent the finish from being slung off the project. So, VS is useful.

I turn on a PM3520B which is a VS lather and I don't have any experience on the lathes you list. Good luck with your decision. Keep in mind, the lathe is the least expensive part of this hobby/addiction. It's peripherals, the accessories that will suck the green out of your wallet.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Changing belts isn't hard, but it is an interruption. I think variable speed is probably a bigger deal for a beginner because a more experienced turner can better judge where they want to be and better cope with slightly "off" settings. As a beginner, I find variable speed invaluable and fiddle with it quite a bit. Turn things down for safety, and so things happen a little more slowly, and then gradually turn up as the blank becomes better balanced, I become more sure about where I want to be, and as I have a little practice and gain confidence in the technique I'm using (trying.)

Variable speed won't make you a better turner, it is just a modern convenience. I would rather have more accessories. I have a Rikon mini with the belt changing, but I also have 2 of the 4 jaw chucks, a drill chuck, a collet chuck, bowl gouges and several homemade jigs that allow me to add "embellishments" to my turnings. The few seconds it takes to change the speed are not missed. My other lathe is a 1972 Delta 46-111 with 4 step pulleys on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    Variable speed won't make you a better turner, it is just a modern convenience. I would rather have more accessories.
    I agree that variable speed is a great thing on a lathe. Although it's certainly not essential, I wouldn't be without it. You want VS that goes down to very low speed but still with torque. Also that will run in reverse.

Within a budget in the lower range, VS is just one of the points to look at. The same money might get you a machine that, although it doesn't have variable speed, is a more substantial and better made lathe. And I think reliability can be an issue for VS in cheap lathes.
    Last edited by Terry Vaughan; 11-26-2017 at 6:19 PM.

Like others have said, variable speed is a convenience that lets you move the belt LESS. Lathes with variable speed also have multiple belt positions for a good reason. Another advantage is that it allows lower speeds than non-VS lathes are set up for. By starting slow, it is possible to turn out of balance pieces that would otherwise shake the lathe across a floor. The Nova 16-24/44 has a good range of speeds, I don't know what the speed selection is for a Nova 12-24.

Variable speed is the most important part of the lathe. The fact you can turn a knob and speed up or slow down the lathe makes turning so much enjoyable.

Im an old iron guy but certain tools like a lathe have improved so much with variable speed and other features old iron can’t compare.
    Don

I'm going to assume you meant the Nova 1624. I have never heard of a Nova 12-24. They do have a 12" x 16 which is the Comet II but it is 3/4 hp not the 1.5 as the 1624 has.
    I have the 1624 but I also purchased the Comet II for my daughter and grandson.
    Many of the things I turn I would not try on a mini/midi lathe. I typically only set the speed once for spindle work; for bowl or platter I normally only change the speed once during turning, twice at the very most.

The Comet II and the Jet are variable but both have three belt positions with variable speeds within that setting.
    For the Jet it is ...... Speed Ranges (RPM): 60-900, 110-1800, 220-3600
    So going from a bowl to a spindle you would most likely need to move the belt anyway.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cunningham View Post
    I am about to crack open the wallet and buy my first lathe.
    Space and budget limit me to either a Jet 1221, or a Nova 12/24.
    The Nova has more hp, and more length. It does not have 'turn the knob' speed control.
    So, what does the turning hive think?
    I've turned successfully on both fixed (belt speed change) and variable speed lathes. When I carry my non-VS mini lathe somewhere I very quickly get used to not having variable speed. When I use the lathes in the shop I very quickly get used to the variable speed. However, the variable speed gives me a lot more flexibility and is more efficient - I think nothing of cranking on the speed when with the pulley speed change I sometimes don't bother to change the speed even though a different speed would be better. Turning at too high or too low a speed can require compromises in speed, safety, and quality of cut.

How the variable speed is implemented on the lathe can make a big difference. A mechanical method (reeves drive) is the least desirable - I don't want one. An electronic VDF allows a smooth speed adjustment within a range with a turn of the knob AND allows for reverse - this is what I want.

Some reasons I use different speeds and like using a VS lathe:
    - use a low speed when sanding
    - turn the speed up all the way for small things and thin spindles
    - turn bowls and platters at a moderate speed
    - adjust the speed a tiny bit one way or the other to calm vibrations in an out-of-balance piece
    - use a high speed when cutting "air" (wings on a piece, e.g., a square platter)
    - use a low speed with texturing tools
    - apply some finishes at a low speed
    - apply friction polish at a high speed
    - crank the speed up when using a wire to friction burn a line in a spindle
    - a very low speed is great during one step in teaching the skew to beginners
    - reverse the direction for sanding
    - reverse the direction for applying friction polish and some other finishes
    - reverse the direction for certain cuts

What kind of things do you want to turn? Since I like to turn spindles the length of the lathe is more important than the power and the VS. For most other things the variable speed is more important to me than the length or the power. I can get by with less power for larger things with sharp tools and good technique.

JKJ

once you get it you will never go without it ! that and being able to go in reverse makes life better too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    Like others have said, variable speed is a convenience that lets you move the belt LESS. Lathes with variable speed also have multiple belt positions for a good reason. Another advantage is that it allows lower speeds than non-VS lathes are set up for. By starting slow, it is possible to turn out of balance pieces that would otherwise shake the lathe across a floor. The Nova 16-24/44 has a good range of speeds, I don't know what the speed selection is for a Nova 12-24.

16/24 is what I meant to type.

I started on a Craftsman 1950's lathe. It's lowest speed was 950 rpm. Thank goodness that I could only chuck up a 9" bowl in it. When I first turned on a blank that I had tried to make round, and it immediately spun up to 950 rpm it was exciting and probably dangerous.

For doing spindle and pen work, I would think that starting out at 950 rpm isn't going to be a problem. But for bowls larger than perhaps 6 or 8 inches, I think that it is a safety issue. If you intend to do bowl (especially medium to larger ones) you would be advised, for safety purposes, to get a lathe where you can turn it down (VS or not) to perhaps 300 rpm. I haven't seen very many belt lathes that run that low.

@jkj:

l like to build foot stools & coffee tables. So, primarily leg of 18 inches or less. After watching videos on turned boxes I want to give that a whirl.

The spousal unit likes bowls and plates, so that is another idea.

After looking at gadgets and gizmo's I can see how much $$$ turning can cost.

I just replaced my 30 year old lathe (no vs) with a Laguna Revo 18/36 with VS. I love it....I do mostly all bowl turning and starting an out of balance blank off at a slow speed instead of 500 rpm is great. Also ...as mentioned.... I can put a WOP finish on a bowl at 50 rpm and save turning it by hand to do it. It has a belt with 2 ranges but I doubt if I will ever move it off the position of 50 rpm to 1350 rpm for bowls....even if I do a little spindle turning that is fast enough for me.