Thread: SuperNova 2 chuck installation and review

SuperNova 2 chuck installation and review

I made this video as I have seen some woodturner had issue installation SuperNova 2 itself.

*Video has been taken down after the comments for improvement below. Thanks guys. Safety FIRST!*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcam...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by john zulu; 11-27-2017 at 10:29 PM.

You skipped one of the most important things concerning the installation of the Nova insert. The grub screw and the little leather plug help keep the insert locked into the chuck. The other thing I would mention is in the installation of the jaws. Instead of tightening them when you first put them on you should leave them just tight enough so that they might move a little and then close the jaws so they meet in the middle and then tighten all the screws for a more accurate installation. The first thing I do with the allen wrench that comes with it is to cut off the ball end, I think the ball leads to the early failure of the pinions on the chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    You skipped one of the most important things concerning the installation of the Nova insert. The grub screw and the little leather plug help keep the insert locked into the chuck. The other thing I would mention is in the installation of the jaws. Instead of tightening them when you first put them on you should leave them just tight enough so that they might move a little and then close the jaws so they meet in the middle and then tighten all the screws for a more accurate installation. The first thing I do with the allen wrench that comes with it is to cut off the ball end, I think the ball leads to the early failure of the pinions on the chuck.
    I would like to understand if it is possible for the chuck to spin out from the chuck insert if it is forward motion. My current lathe model cannot go into reverse. The cutting forces cannot dislodge the chuck from the insert.
    Please clarify.

You're right John, forward motion won't dislodge the chuck. Many lathes do have reverse though and you run the risk of spinning the chuck off and sending that 5 lb piece of metal flying across your shop if you don't secure the insert and the chuck on the spindle when turning. Not a fun proposition.
    USMC '97-'01

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    You're right John, forward motion won't dislodge the chuck. Many lathes do have reverse though and you run the risk of spinning the chuck off and sending that 5 lb piece of metal flying across your shop if you don't secure the insert and the chuck on the spindle when turning. Not a fun proposition.

You have a point. I will update the comments in the video. Thanks for the insight.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    Bill is absolutely correct about the little red leather bushing and grub screw. I have 5 SuperNova chucks and 4 Hurricane chucks. I much prefer the insert design of the Hurricane chucks... they screw into the chuck taper and are held in place by 3 screws into the chuck body. A superior design, modeled after the Vicmarcs and even the oneway chucks. Even with the leather bushing and grub screw in place, I have had a couple of my Nova inserts work lose and induce wobble.....no such problem with the Hurricane chucks I have.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    I would like to understand if it is possible for the chuck to spin out from the chuck insert if it is forward motion. My current lathe model cannot go into reverse. The cutting forces cannot dislodge the chuck from the insert.
    Please clarify.
    There is one time a chuck can spin off the lathe or the insert when turning with the normal forward motion - when the lathe stops. The quicker the motor stops the stronger the dislodging forces. Many VS lathes with an electronic VFD control the acceleration when starting and deceleration when stopping the lathe. My lathes have this programmable parameter set to a fairly gentle 5 seconds.

With a heavy piece a chuck is safe during starting and turning but could conceivably unscrew during deceleration. When running in reverse, the chuck could conceivably unscrew during acceleration or from the cutting forces or from an accidental impact.

JKJ

No John, it is not possible for the chuck, to ever spin out or off of the chuck insert in any forward or reverse motion. The chuck insert is held in place with three screws, these three screws pretty much guarantee what your imagining from happening. The three screws are a lock, they lock the spindle insert so that it cannot spin. It might be possible if these three screws weren't in place, but then the whole chuck would probably go flying first.
    Len
    Last edited by Len Mullin; 11-27-2017 at 4:32 PM. Reason: wording

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    No John, it is not possible for the chuck, to ever spin out or off of the chuck insert in any forward or reverse motion....
    Well it is possible for the piece to spin off the lathe if the user does not have the single grub screw inserted and tightened properly to hold the insert, and especially if the single set screw holding the insert to the lathe spindle is not inserted and tightened sufficiently. (Many people omit that screw) Perhaps I misinterpreted Bill B's comment that the video "skipped one of the most important things concerning the installation of the Nova insert. The grub screw and the little leather plug help keep the insert locked into the chuck." Perhaps a bit more about securing these screws should be included in any video advertised as helping beginners with issues.

Note that the newer SN2 chucks are different from the older ones. For one thing they are drilled and tapped for two grub screws instead of one.

I should mention I didn't watch the video since I am somewhat familiar with the assembly and use of these chucks. (I have 16 Nova chucks at the moment.)

If John Z doesn't know this he may be interested: if turning heavy things the set screw that holds the chuck insert to the lathe spindle must be tightened VERY securely, especially since there is usually just one. How tight? - depends on how heavy the block is. Several lathe spindles have been marred badly when the turner did not tighten the screw quite enough. One lathe spindle was damaged when the chuck started to spin off the lathe the set screw jammed and broke. A mess. For those who turn heavy wood a safer thing may be to machine and tap the insert for a second set screw and firmly tighten both. Some of my inserts did come ready for two set screws but the last few I bought did not.

Bill's comment about installing the jaws is right on - important to mention. If the video didn't describe the proper way to install the jaws John Z might want to review the manual before making an updated video.

I think Bill's comment about the ball-end chuck key should also be addressed. There have been a number of reports of damage to the chucks due to force being applied to the chuck key when the ball end is inserted at an angle - best thing to do is to cut or grind off the ball or just use keys without the ball end so the key must be inserted straight into the socket.

Perhaps the video included this but if not: A comprehensive video should also cover maintenance - disassembly, cleaning, inspection, lubrication, and reassembly. This requires fairly stout circlip pliers and is not particularly easy on the SN2.

But perhaps this is a casual video instead of comprehensive. In that case I'm not sure I see the value since the manual is quite clear on all aspects of the chuck. Maybe it could help someone who won't or can't read. I personally don't know anyone who has had an issue installing one of these chucks. Several have had real problems in preparing and securing the wood blank to the chuck but that's another story and not specifically limited to any one chuck model.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    There is one time a chuck can spin off the lathe or the insert when turning with the normal forward motion - when the lathe stops. The quicker the motor stops the stronger the dislodging forces. Many VS lathes with an electronic VFD control the acceleration when starting and deceleration when stopping the lathe. My lathes have this programmable parameter set to a fairly gentle 5 seconds.

With a heavy piece a chuck is safe during starting and turning but could conceivably unscrew during deceleration. When running in reverse, the chuck could conceivably unscrew during acceleration or from the cutting forces or from an accidental impact.

JKJ
    Thanks for the important info. This makes a lot of sense now. The momentum of the load could turn it loose of the head stock. I will remove the video and redo it again.

I guess it has been pointed out that I was talking about the grub screw that holds the insert to the chuck body. I have never had an insert come loose while being held by the grub screw and the leather piece (and I have been using these chucks for at least 15 years). I believe that it is the L (1 1/4 X 8) insert that has the hole in the insert that you put the grub screw and the leather piece to hold onto the spindle. Also the G3 d now called the NOVA G3 COMET II Reversible Chuck has this grub screw hole to tighten onto the spindle (for lathes that have reversing). Remember if you do not loosen these grub screws you can really mess up the threads when removing from lathe or chuck. One of my first chucks was a noname cheapy that unscrewed itself every time I hit the stop button (at high speed). I knew it would happen but every time my first inclination was to catch the chuck, do that a couple times and I guarantee that the chuck will be history.