Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sketchup to Gcode- what does it take?

I'm focused on wood CNC and possibly some plastic sheet goods. I'll take a look at Via CAD as well. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    So what is your end result going to be, wood or metal CNC or 3D printing? I used AutoCAD for many years but the 3D is a whole new deal. Never did get SketchUp because I learned on CAD and SketchUp is a drawing program, as sketching. All the CAD drawing in the world will not help. Used Fusion 360 for a Long time for my 3D printer projects, but got tired of the constant updates and its so s l o w on a DSL line. I now use, and laugh if you want but its from Punch Software Via CAD 2D3D it was under $200 to purchase and it works fine. If you used ACAD you will feel right at home. They have Trial versions to download.
    I am not trying to arbitrarily defend sketchup in any way but it is anything but "a sketching program". I can draw 2d, or 3d, all day long in SU to four decimal places and output files to my CNC or a HAAS. We run primarily wood but on a regular basis run aluminum and non-ferrous as well. Of course due to the spindle we wont be doing ops like tapping, hard turning, and so on, but the bulk of the machining is completely possible from SU.

Fusion has some really impressive features for machine shop work. Adaptive tool pathing, rest machining, and many many more, but as with any advanced software you pretty much need to be making money with it to afford it (i.e. AutoCad). If your not in a business/money making situation then your going to have to look to work-arounds and so on.

We draw daily (wood) to three decimal places in SU and could easily go to four though its not necessary for what we do. No doubt SU Pro is a leap but once you make the jump the maintenance is pretty much peanuts and its far less expensive than any other pre-paid or subscription based software out there. The annual maintenance on SU Pro would be equivalent one very very very small job a year.

You might want to look at Rhino as well. That is another very popular option because it is reasonable cost wise, and has the same functionality of many much more expensive packages.

Mark, I am not a sketchup fan because I have been provided too many poor models over the years. The reason for those models being poor is a user problem I know, but I still have a general distaste for it. I am curious how you create different sizes of your standard projects in sketchup? In my modeling software I setup models using variables or sketches that drive the model parameters, and by changing those the complete model and tool paths update in seconds.

I predict in a few years Autodesk will charge for fusion. Autodesk was not in the CAM market, they wanted in, and they can afford to give away a lot of free stuff to get the market share they want. By that time you will have their claws in you because it takes time to learn the software and setup your libraries. I have over $100k in Autodesk software, but I do not like them much as a company.

I started with Autodesk back in 1992 or so Release 9 they were a fun company then but then greed and profit took over. SU has changed also from a free sketching and drawing program to what the people who use it every day as CAD. If you had learned the AutoCAD menus and like, SU was different. It has issues with 3D printing STL files. Rhino is interesting and very powerful, also has a learning curve. I am surprised someone has not suggested Solidworks, me I have found the program I need and use for 3D printing and I suspect it would work fine for most hobby folks and professional.

Brad I have cousins in Dawson Creek, grain farmers and timber haulers they are doing Very well. We stayed with them in 2013 on our trip up to Alaska on the ACAN Highway with our truck and camper trailer.

PS If you folks watch Home and Garden TV our favorite remodelers Chip and Joanna Gaines uses SketchUp. I don't think she does those drawings herself but they sure look nice whoever does.
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-30-2017 at 5:22 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I create dynamic components. They dont output directly to cam but the geometry is ready to go and I am just personally accustomed to 3D modeling.

Autodesk has a model of releasing what use to be considered as Beta software with no intention of ever sticking with it for the long haul. They have done this numerous times with 3D sampling software where they offer up a free title with all sorts of capabilities and capacity and then in a few months they drop it and roll it into some subscription based option. They use the free users to debug their flawed software options. Fusion is no different. When they get a title that has traction they let their users work it to death and debug, paying their subscription fees all the while, and they get free R&D. Actually not even free, they profit from their R&D which is a very smart business model from an entrepreneurial standpoint.

I know you qualified this but you stated that you were being provided with poor models. I personally do not, and will never, rely on, or modify, anyone else's geometry in my work other than on a representational level. If I need to show someone an item in a 3D rendering I will pull a hacked up, poorly modeled, model from the 3D warehouse. If I need to put a bush beside a door it comes from the 3D warehouse. Stick it in a drawing, photo render, submit it to the client, and if they like it, and I need to, I will do my own drawing for our shop. There are simply too many variables in every type of drawing that would ever allow someone to think they could import someone else's work and have it be to their standards. This goes directly to the post in the CNC category about exporting Gcode directly. No one is going to walk into my shop and hand me a file that I am going to plug into my machine and hit "GO" unless they have 100K in cash in hand.

For me personally, in the world of three decimal places (I go to four on occasion), I can do everything I need. I dont have huge libraries of parts, I rely on a couple of paid plug-ins that make life a joy, and for one-of's I can draw on the fly very fast.

I watch Fusion videos almost daily because a lot of it cross applies and I have a fascination with the metal world, but I have never seen a feature that even gave me a twinkle of a notion to try. But Ive been burned by Autodesk a few times in the 3D sampling world so Im likely biased.

I think If I could get my head around the complexities of Blender, and implement it with SU. For my odd ball work Id be in hog heaven.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 11-30-2017 at 5:36 PM.

Bill, I use solidworks and Camworks, but they are not nice on the pocket book or the learning curve so I do not usually suggest either. I use solidworks for my day job, so I know it quite well. I am experimenting with Expressworks to make things a bit more efficient for some parts on my CNC. Solidworks incorporated a free CAM option in the current release, but it only does part files. That is useless for me, so I would have to pay a bit more to upgrade it so I can cut assembly files. I was raised on a farm here and I have two brothers that farm a lot of land between the two of them. It is quite possible I have heard of your cousins. You are the second guy on this forum that has mentioned being thru our little town on their way to Alaska. I see them from all over the US trekking thru our area on their way to Alaska. I look at those from Texas in awe. The thought of driving a large RV or bus from Texas to Alaska makes me nauseous. A relative of mine from California mentioned you can drive one way, and someone will cart your RV back, but that still sounds like a bit much.

Mark I had no idea you could do dynamic modeling in sketchup. I have been provided models in a different capacity than woodworking. My limit of sketchup is to load it up for measuring things. I have clients that like to send me half complete models and CAD files that do not match. It drives me a bit batty to sort out what they really need, but that is part of the deal with design/build projects. I agree about the running of random gcode files from someone else.

Brad our little RV trailer was 17 ft Casita pulled with a 1500 Chevy Silverado with a small dog and just two people it was fine. When not in the mountains was getting 15 mpg. Does Juell ring a bell, my Uncle homesteaded up there in 1919 or so.

CAD software, I use what I can afford to buy. Retired people do not get to use company furnished software and even with the discounts its way over my budget and just not needed.

Note that U.S. and Canadian veterans can apply for the $20/yr. Solidworks educational license: https://store.solidworks.com/veteran...?command=Step1 (It's also available for EAA members)

(I get it so that my son can use it for his school work)

Bill, Juell rings a bell for sure. Roy is my brothers father in law. I did actually have to buy my own copies of SW and Camworks. I like having the model and CAM files all in one piece of software.
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 12-01-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    Bill, Juell rings a bell for sure. Roy is my brothers father in law. I did actually have to buy my own copies of SW and Camworks. I like having the model and CAM files all in one piece of software.
    Small world after all! Say hi when and if you see him. I think by now they would be in AZ for the winter. Seems like all the Canadians head south for the cold weather. We go to Florida for a month and it seems most of the eastern Canadian population is down there.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    Note that U.S. and Canadian veterans can apply for the $20/yr. Solidworks educational license: https://store.solidworks.com/veteran...?command=Step1 (It's also available for EAA members)

(I get it so that my son can use it for his school work)
    I would qualify, but its getting to late to learn more new software, but thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I would qualify, but its getting to late to learn more new software, but thanks for posting.
    If I could get solidworks for $20 Id be all over it if only to let my grandchildren get to have access to the highest prices piece of software in this market out there. lol. I would never have the time along side running the business to become proficient at solidworks but I would grab it for 20 bucks in the blink of an eye.