Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small one car garage shop layout

Finally got an estimate for the electric for the following work:

* 100A Sub-panel dedicated to shop
    * 5 240V circuits set up around the shop
    * 8-10 120V outlets throughout shop and two mounted near or on ceiling
    * 4x 5000 lumen LED panels ceiling mounted for ~20,000 lumens

$2950

Kinda stung but we have used this guy before to lay a dedicated circuit for our Koi Pond and I think it's an honest quote for the area.

Work should start on the 18th of this month.

Meanwhile the Jointer/Planer and Dust Collection system is showing up tomorrow so I need to take delivery and find some time and muscle to get it mounted on the mobile base and tucked away in a corner until the electric is ready.

What do you guys think of varnishing OSB DRIcore subfloor panels?

My comment is on the electrical. I don't know what is allowed where you live but I have done the electrical finish (and plumbing and carpentry) on two major remodels on my house. In my shop, I just had them run the circuits to the room and then I put in all the outlets and hooked them up. Putting in outlets is a piece of cake. I have never done a sub-panel, however, and probably never will. The first remodel I hooked up the heat pump. I put in the light fixtures for both. The rough in included running the wires (in the areas other than the shop and my wife's office which I also rough wired).
    Depends on how you want to spend your time but if you want to save money, at least installing the outlets and light fixtures would probably save you significantly and be something you could easily handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    My comment is on the electrical. I don't know what is allowed where you live but I have done the electrical finish (and plumbing and carpentry) on two major remodels on my house. In my shop, I just had them run the circuits to the room and then I put in all the outlets and hooked them up. Putting in outlets is a piece of cake. I have never done a sub-panel, however, and probably never will. The first remodel I hooked up the heat pump. I put in the light fixtures for both. The rough in included running the wires (in the areas other than the shop and my wife's office which I also rough wired).
    Depends on how you want to spend your time but if you want to save money, at least installing the outlets and light fixtures would probably save you significantly and be something you could easily handle.
    Hey Jim thanks for the comment and yes I've thought about how I could reduce the labor on the quote but ultimately I work a full time job and don't have the time at the moment. Still a tough pill to swallow but from what I've gathered most of the labor involves putting in the subpanel and probably the light fixtures. If I had more experience doing electrical I would have tried to take on most of the work minus the panel. Maybe next time.