Thread: Water-based finish for walnut (Target EM2000? EM6000?)

Water-based finish for walnut (Target EM2000? EM6000?)

I'm currently building some walnut side tables, and would like to "wet" the grain and apply a durable satin topcoat.

Just with some experimenting, I've noticed that an oil-based finish (Behlen's Rock Hard Tabletop) gives a depth to the walnut that is way beyond what I get with just shellac or even BLO. But, I'm trying to get away from oil-based.

I've read that the EM6000 is nice because it burns in. But the EM2000 is nice because it has more of the "oil finished" look. Since EM2000 doesn't burn in, does it need to be scuff sanded between coats? Or is the lack of burn in not a serious disadvantage?

I know I could do oil-based (BLO) then de-waxed shellac then EM2000, but I'd prefer to keep it simple - ideally, a single product. Any advice?

(Side note: Reading about these products is confusing. It seems like for every product/schedule, one person loves it and one hates it. Is there some general consensus on "These are the modern, generally effective products that most people will find suitable for...." types of advice? What are the non-floor-poly, non-oil-based topcoats that people generally approve of, these days?)

Most water borne finishes applied directly to walnut are going to give a disappointing color because they are, more or less "clear". With EM600, I absolutely do the BLO/de-waxed shellac/EM6000 regimen to deal with that. I've finished a lot of walnut that way. I've used EM2000 and it's a fine finish, but I'm not sure it will "get there", even though it's an alkyd emulsion and has some "color".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just finished two 11 foot live edge walnut slabs that will see counter (though not counter top) use in a kitchen. After much agonizing, I settled on one wash coat of dewaxed garnet shellac (made from flakes) and three coats of General Finishes Endurovar satin. Good grain and color pop, should be durable based on reviews here. The hardest part was building a temporary spray booth in my garage and keeping it warm while spraying. I ended adding about 90 ccs of GF Extender per pint because I did not fill the grain, and wanted the appearance of thin finish through which the texture of the grain could still be seen and felt. While spraying walnut shelves with this finish without the Extender, I had the material pillow up with surface tension around the grain lines. I found that spraying a little thinner coat with the Extender helped it flow out into a smoother thinner coat.

Nelson
    Attached Images Attached Images

I recently used the EM8000cv on a commission and like how it looked on the VG D-fir...and am looking forward to see what it does on walnut. I meant to shoot some on scrap as a test while I was spraying, but had a "premature senior moment" and forgot to do that. I did get some on my temporary work surfaces (on purpose while I was adjusting the gun for spray pattern) and the those two coats did hint at a little amber on what was effectively very light colored plywood on one and typical plywood sheathing on the other. I'm not sure it's enough to warm up walnut by itself, however, so I'll have to test it when I have first opportunity. I suspect that the EM2000 is probably "better" in that respect natively since it's a water borne alkyd emulsion as opposed to a typical acrylic water borne.

BTW, the walnut you use can also make a difference. Steamed and kiln dried walnut has a bit of a different color than air dried or non-steamed KD walnut, and finishing needs to account for that.
    --

My experience with water based finishes(like Target) are a disappointment on Walnut.....just gives it a "blah" no color look. I like target products for other woods.
    Bite the bullet and put the oil on. Why not danish oil top coated with the Behlen's?

Jim

Thanks, guys. I think I'll bit the bullet and do a BLO coat followed by shellac and a waterbased top-coat.

Even though a water based finish won't look as deep and rich as with oil based, it does create a unique look that I think can work for some pieces. Here's an idea of what it might look like. I brushed on GF water-based high performance on the the walnut top. The customers wanted wanted this look because it goes with the feel and color of the room. It's different but it really grew on me.
    IMG_7179.jpgIMG_7180.JPGIMG_7178.jpg
    Last edited by Bennett Ostroff; 12-09-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Yes, with the blue/grey in the room, the look of just the water borne finish is complementary.
    --