Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Mahogany entertainment center

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    43,183
    The size of that thang' will benefit from the thicker top. Nice!
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    141
    I'm in the process of gluing up the cabinet, so I relocated the build close to one of the doors to the shop before it gets too heavy. More on this later! The right and left sides are glued together, but not to the front and back rails. That will happen tomorrow and for now, I'm using the sides to keep everything square. I'm really looking forward to only having to take it apart and put it back together one last time. It feels like I've done that 1000 times already.

    I got the top dimensioned for thickness and width. I face clamped the boards in pairs and used my 7-1/2 plane (I don't have an 8 yet) to co-plane the gluing edges. I also cut for 10x50 mm dominos every foot to keep the top from shifting along it's thickness during glue-up. This should make the final flattening of the top much easier. Finally, two of the four boards for the top are glued.

    IMG_1001.jpgIMG_1003.jpgIMG_1004.jpgIMG_1005.jpg

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    141
    A couple days ago, I got the top completely glued and then started on the doors. I really like the Woodpeckers coping sled for the cope cut on the rails. Next I glued up the doors and while all the glue was drying, I installed most of the drawer slides.

    Today, I flattened the top with my #7-1/2 and sanded to 180 - I'll do the final sanding just before I do the finish. I got the doors planed flat and I set the top on the base mainly to free up the bench. Finally, I started cutting parts for the drawers. The dark spots on the top in the last pic are where I filled some spots with epoxy mixed with Mahogany dust. I made a paste and pushed it into the places where there was a tiny gap in the glue joint. I'll sand those out tomorrow.

    IMG_1010.jpgIMG_1011.jpgIMG_1009.jpgIMG_1012.jpgIMG_1013.jpgIMG_1015.jpgIMG_1017.jpgIMG_1018.jpg
    Last edited by Bryan Hunt; 12-26-2017 at 9:46 PM.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    141
    I did some sanding on the top to clean up the epoxy patches. They came out great. I got three drawers and two doors installed. I had to add some spacers for the drawer slides for the drawers behind the door so they would clear the hinges. If all goes well tomorrow, I'll finish the construction. I still need to do a lot of planing to get the final fit for the doors and drawer fronts.

    IMG_1019.jpgIMG_1020.jpg

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    996
    This is looking really good. Nice job in matching the grain on drawer fronts. Looking forward to seeing it progress. How are you finishing the back?

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    141
    The back will be a sheet of 3/16" Mahogany plywood. That should happen this weekend with pics to follow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    This is looking really good. Nice job in matching the grain on drawer fronts. Looking forward to seeing it progress. How are you finishing the back?

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    141
    The last of the drawers are in, and the doors and drawer fronts are done. Still a lot of adjusting and planing to do.

    IMG_1021.jpgIMG_1022.jpg

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    fayetteville Arkansas
    Posts
    370
    Dang, very nice!

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    996
    Another well matched set of drawer fronts. The figure is going to really pop once a finish is applied. I'm guessing it is pushing 90" in lenght? I hope you don't have to make any sharp turns to get it into the entertainment room.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    141
    I planed and adjusted the drawer fronts and doors. I secured the top to the base. I added the back and installed the fans. I also added some stops for the shelves to allow for airflow behind the shelves. The voltage regulator I'm using to run the fans is not working right so I'll have to find a better one. All that's left is pulls, shelves, a final sanding, and the finish.

    IMG_1023.jpgIMG_1024.jpgIMG_1025.jpgIMG_1026.jpgIMG_1030.jpgIMG_1031.jpg

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    141
    The base has moved into the spray booth and I've applied the first coat of Tried and True hand rubbed varnish to the underside.

    IMG_1033.jpg

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Posts
    63
    Nice work!

    I have to say that I really admire the folks that take the time to photograph theirs builds and keep a journal. I tend to get too buried in the work at hand and forget to take pictures of the process. Anyway, my thanks to you for documenting this build and letting us follow along.

    --Dan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •