Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mahogany entertainment center

Mahogany entertainment center

The build for my entertainment center (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-style-cabinet) has begun. I picked up the wood today and rough cut the legs from the 12/4. I'll try to post pics as the build progresses.

IMG_0960.jpgIMG_0961.jpg

Cherry & walnut?
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

The mortise and tenons are all cut for the rails and legs. I used the chisel to define the mortise, hogged out the bulk of the waste on the drill press, and finished with the chisel. The tenon cheeks were roughed out with the chisel and finished with a router plane. I'm extremely happy with the fit. Today, I'm going to taper the legs and arch the bottom front rail. Then, maybe start planing the boards for the drawer fronts and door frames. I kinda want to wait till I have help to cut down the 4x8 mahogany plywood.

IMG_0962.jpgIMG_0965.jpgIMG_0964.jpgIMG_0968.jpgIMG_0969.jpgIMG_0970.jpgIMG_0971.jpg

I did manage to get the legs tapered and the bottom rail arched today. I used a thin cutoff piece of mahogany to draw the arch on a strip of 1/2" MDF. I rough-cut the MDF on the bandsaw and did the final shaping with a rasp and sanding. I marked the bottom rail from the template and rough-cut on the bandsaw. I attached the template to the rail with double-stick tape and ran it through the router table with a pattern bit. My wife helped me rip a sheet of plywood so I can start working on the bottom and partitions.

IMG_0972.jpgIMG_0973.jpgIMG_0974.jpgIMG_0975.jpgIMG_0978.jpg

The thing about entertainment centres is they are a moving target. Think of your parents set up, then yours, now they are shrinking even more. In all likelihood they will just be an app on your phone or laptop with an amplifier buried in a cupboard. Good speakers are pretty much the same.
    Yours seems very large so I'm guessing it's mainly a TV table.

Your shop is ridiculously tidy. My floor is concrete so I don't have to worry about glare!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    The thing about entertainment centres is they are a moving target. Think of your parents set up, then yours, now they are shrinking even more. In all likelihood they will just be an app on your phone or laptop with an amplifier buried in a cupboard. Good speakers are pretty much the same.
    Yours seems very large so I'm guessing it's mainly a TV table.
    I don't disagree that things have changed over time! That said, many folks still have multiple components involved in their home for media and while the norm for screens has moved to wall mounts (for both functionality and safety), attractive furniture for the other stuff is a great project opportunity. I'm looking forward to see what the OP's end result is...those legs are very interesting looking!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Today's pics should give you a better idea on the look. I did a dry-fit of the legs and rails and spent the rest of the day getting the bottom to fit. It turns out that my bench makes a good shooting board.

IMG_0979.jpgIMG_0980.jpgIMG_0981.jpg

The top rails seem very long with no middle support, do you plan to add one?

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    The top rails seem very long with no middle support, do you plan to add one?
    Yes, there will be plenty of supports coming soon.

I got the bottom supports and dominos in the plywood done. I'll do the middle feet tomorrow and that should complete the underside.

IMG_0984.jpgIMG_0985.jpgIMG_0986.jpgIMG_0988.jpg

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Since my last update, I've finished the middle support feet, dividers, top supports, and side panels. The divider panels are domino'd to the bottom and fit into a dado in the top supports. The side panels have an add-on piece to accommodate the drawer slides.

IMG_0990.jpgIMG_0991.jpgIMG_0992.jpgIMG_0993.jpgIMG_0996.jpgIMG_0997.jpgIMG_0998.jpgIMG_0999.jpg

That's coming along beautifully, Bryan!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's coming along beautifully, Bryan!
    Thank you!

I've started the glue-up so I should have pics of it fully assembled in a day or two. I did manage to get the boards for the top milled today - it's going to be somewhere around 1-1/8" thick. I'm really looking forward to getting that top on.