Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaded Frame Wainscot

Beaded Frame Wainscot

Over the last week I made some wainscoting for a pool room. I installed it today. I still need to do the rest of the room (straight walls). I'll be working on that this week. I went to some extra effort and made the large bead that surrounds the inside of the frame as a separate pc. I know how walls are and it worked out great. I pushed the bead frames up against the wall even if the wainscoting was proud because of undulation in the wall. Worked great.

Beaded detail:

And here is that inside corner with the shaped block. The HO loved it. Totally understood why I wanted to do it that way and was amazed at the small details inside the block.

Real nice detailing at all those corners and edges. I like the small contact edge at the walls. Kinda' strange to have all those outlets. But I made raised panels once for a dining room that had 17 outlets!

That looks great Leo!
    Fred

Looks awesome. Nice job and design.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Real nice detailing at all those corners and edges. I like the small contact edge at the walls. Kinda' strange to have all those outlets. But I made raised panels once for a dining room that had 17 outlets!
    Pretty sure it's a code thing. It was designed as a living space, so outlets are dictated by code. Plus he wanted to have a few pinball machines down there, and might not of know where he was going to put them during construction. It did make it a challenge to get the spacing even and not hit an outlet with a center stile.

I have one wall that I have to adjust a stile so the panel area will be smaller than the rest by about a 1/4". No one will notice.

Very nicely done. Combines 2 of my hobbies, woodworking and pool.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Beautiful work, Leo, and I absolutely agree with you relative to using a separate molding for that beading in an architectural setting for exactly the reason you cited. Unlike a piece of furniture, you do not have control over the surface adjacent to your work and having the flexibility that comes with separate pieces deals with that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Beautiful work, Leo, and I absolutely agree with you relative to using a separate molding for that beading in an architectural setting for exactly the reason you cited. Unlike a piece of furniture, you do not have control over the surface adjacent to your work and having the flexibility that comes with separate pieces deals with that.
    That really took a lot longer than I expected. Just cutting and snapping them into the hole was easy and it went fast. But then taking them out and gluing and nailing them together took a good amount of time. But in the end it was really worth it. Having the moldings up against the wall looks so much better than if they were floating proud. I think this was the first time I have done an open wainscot like this.

I've done cheater wainscoting many times, frame panels a baseboard and a chair rail, But not stile and rail without a panel insert. Nice cause it was different for me.

It's actually pretty rich looking with the open, painted "panels" in the darker contrasting color. Nice!
    --

Thanks for posting not only the photos but how you did it, Leo. I wouldn't have thought of doing it that way but it makes perfect sense in how best to deal with imperfect walls, which all walls are. What wood did you use? Looks a lot like QS Sapele, one of my favorite woods this past year.

John

Good eye. It's Ribbon Striped Sapele' aka Quarter Sawn.

Thanks Leo. I love that stuff. Works very well although the splinters really hurt, finishes well, and it's readily available to me at a very fair price. Hard to beat.

Not to cheap here. About $7 BF

7-10 bd ft around here, depending on the source. Nice material, however.
    --

Now I have 3 sheetrock posts to put the wainscot shelf on. I'll be using Sapele' veneer from the top of the baseboard to the bottom of the surround and the essentially the top rail of the wainscoting. The shelf will be 4" wide going all around the post which is about 12 1/4" x 16 1/2".

I've made all the parts, but the veneer isn't getting here until Thursday. All the parts are built, sanded and stained right now.

I made these cute little brackets that will go under the shelf in the center of each one. More of a decorative look then support. But they will provide support anyway.

I made 12 of them, one for each flat of the post.

Last edited by Leo Graywacz; 12-22-2017 at 8:45 PM.