Thread: 18th Century Millwrights

18th Century Millwrights

Hello all,

I work at a historic mill in southeastern PA. We're currently working on developing programming around 18th century millwrights, their tools and techniques and what materials they used. Does anyone on here have any suggestions for books/organizations to contact?

We've contacted SPOOM (the Society for the Preservation of Old Mills), but I figured maybe someone on here had obsessed over the tools and might have some knowledge to share. Much of the writing on water powered mills and their construction is from the 19th and early 20th centuries unfortunately.

Thank you for your help.

Gabe

Might want to check with THESE guys

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Christy View Post
    Hello all,

I work at a historic mill in southeastern PA. We're currently working on developing programming around 18th century millwrights, their tools and techniques and what materials they used. Does anyone on here have any suggestions for books/organizations to contact?

We've contacted SPOOM (the Society for the Preservation of Old Mills), but I figured maybe someone on here had obsessed over the tools and might have some knowledge to share. Much of the writing on water powered mills and their construction is from the 19th and early 20th centuries unfortunately.

Thank you for your help.

Gabe
    Not sure if it is helpful or not, but the BBC had a tv series titled Secrets of the Castle with Ruth, Peter and Tom wherein they reconstructed an ancient water-powered mill in one episode. More than a couple of centuries before the 18th, however.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04sv5nc