Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Butterflies & Fairies Vessel

2 Thumbs Up Joe. Like everyone else said, it's in the Wow and stunning category.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

it is that kind of work that intermediate turners aspire too and also which can cause beginner turners enough frustration to quite turning. That sort of thing belongs in an art museum.

Perry, I certainly do not want to cause any beginning turners to get to get frustrated and quit turning. Believe me I have my share of frustrations, but I also have a lot of fun along the way. If it wasn't fun & challenging while being frustrating I may have quit myself a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    it is that kind of work that intermediate turners aspire too and also which can cause beginner turners enough frustration to quite turning. That sort of thing belongs in an art museum.

Dang! The talent here never seizes to amaze me - awesome

<p>
    Yes, as others have said a beautiful piece...&nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    One question though.... how does a high gloss finish like you used hold up over the years with normal seasonal changes in the wood due to varying humidity?</p>
    <p>
    On edit:&nbsp; what are all the funny things inserted into my posting?</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    Last edited by Doug Rasmussen; 12-01-2017 at 7:07 AM.

Without devulging top secret techniques - HOW did you do that incredible golden panel with the fairies and butterflies?
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Doug, first I have no idea why your post looks like it does.
    As for the finish it's a spar varnish which is designed to stay a little flexible it's made for extieior & marine use. I've been using it for 10yrs now without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Rasmussen View Post
    <p>
    Yes, as others have said a beautiful piece...&nbsp;</p>
    <p>

&nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    One question though.... how does a high gloss finish like you used hold up over the years with normal seasonal changes in the wood due to varying humidity?</p>
    <p>
    On edit:&nbsp; what are all the funny things inserted into my posting?</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>

Mark it's not a simple or easy process but I'll try to explain.
    The band is gilded with true silver leaf, the butterfly & fairy images are then very carefully masked off. Then next a chemical is applied to create the patina, when I start to get the color I want I apply a neutralizer to the chemical to stop the reaction. Next you have to clean off the neutralizer, then the mask is very carefully removed. Finish is applied then again very carefully sanded back being extremely careful not to sand through the silver leaf (which is very easily done). Next the fine black ink lines are applied then another coat of finish is applied,then sanded back again extremely carefully and at least one more coat of finish applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Without devulging top secret techniques - HOW did you do that incredible golden panel with the fairies and butterflies?