Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butterflies & Fairies Vessel

Butterflies & Fairies Vessel

At home a little under the weather today & I haven't posted here for a while so I thought I'd post this piece I made earlier this year.
    Hard Maple vessel 17 3/4" X 7 1/2". Airbrushed with acrylic paint, real silver leaf band with chemical patina & fine detail ink lines.
    I left the opening natural for contrast & let people know that it is really wood. A lot of people think a lot of my work is ceramic.
    Butterflies & Fairy's.jpg

Just wow. I got nothing else.
    USMC '97-'01

Me too, nothing else but Wow!!

That's beautiful work! The more I look at it, the more it draws me in.

I hope this makes sense. But to me, a wooden piece crosses the line from woodworking to art when the end result is about far more than "only" the way the wood was shaped by the craftsman. Your piece looks like applying that finish took as much time as creating the vessel itself did. So to me it's really an example of "the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts" and definitely "art".

I'm not an "artsy" guy by any stretch and I lack the vocabulary to get my point across here. But the more I looked at your piece, the more it drew me in. The color, the metal, the "touchable" shape and finish/texture. It's unusual for me to react to an item this way and I'm having a tough time describing the impression it's left on me.

Very, very well done Joe.

Fred

You made your point well.
    I agree. Its an incredible piece.
    Scott

Joe..... just like everyone else said "WOW". I would like to see more of your work. That is a true art piece. Well done indeed.

Beautiful work Joe! Love the size of this vase! You nailed the form and I really like that the acrylic coloring is translucent. The maple grain is visible but you have to look for it. Fantastic job on the detail ring! Overall - just stunning!

Also - congrats on winning the cover honors over on WOW! Well deserved and very happy to see you get the recognition!

Hope you feel better soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Agree with all. A formal modern piece that will always look modern. Would fit in with high grade Art Deco stuff.

Stunning, just stunning. I can see why folks would think it's ceramic, that's a classic shape for ceramics, much less common to see in wood.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Thanks to everyone who takes time to look at and comment on my work. I really do appreciate it as I know I'm often guilty of not taking time to comment on others work that is posted even though I know it deserves to recognized.

Fred I'm happy to know I've been able to draw you in for a closer look. There are times that I do little things just intended to draw people in for a closer or second look that they may miss on just a casual glance or look. This was one of those times so your comments makes me feel like it's a successful piece. Thank you for that.

12. Beautiful!

Outstanding work.

Wow!! How did I miss this one? What a beautiful piece of Art. Truly exceptional!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Steve for your positive comments. I'm on some antibiotics, 3rd day now and just starting to feel a little better thanks.