Thread: Rikon 70-220vsr

Rikon 70-220vsr

Question for you guys... I have a grizzly g0800 lathe already but I also have a 4 and almost 7 year old that like turning with a lot of my help. The challenge is the grizzly is just to big to have them working on without some sort of step stool which is not safe. I was thinking of picking up a smaller lathe i could put out on a lower work bench when they want to turn. So far it’s mostly been pens and small spindle type turnings. Over time it could be some small bowls, etc. I was thinking of something like the rikon 70-220vsr as it seems like a well built lathe and woodcraft has it on sale for $150 off right now. I just wonder if it is to much of a lathe where it would be a pain to move around every so often? Or do you think I am crazy for wanting a 2nd lathe or should I just get a small 10” lathe like a grizzly or penn state one. Thanks!

I had the Rikon when I bought my GO800 I sold it because of space issues I love my Grizzly but I have regreted selling the Rikon it every since. It is a really nice lathe I have considered buying another one more than once. If you do buy one I still have the Rikon stand I bought for mine if interested contact me if were close I would sell it. I am in Okla.

I have 5 lathes now, one of which is the Rikon in question. If you have room for 2 lathes it isnn't crazy to want 2. It is not uncommon for me to have projects where 2 or 3 of the lathes are in use. The Rikon is a sweet little machine, enough mass to provide reasonable stability but not so heavy that it can't be scooted out of the way if necessary.

I used to have the Rikon 70-220VSR as well and liked it quite a bit. It now takes up residence in the Vet's Garage, it is the most popular lathe in their woodworking shop. And at its sale price it is a great deal.

You guys are never good at talking anyone out of spending money The rikon arrives tomorrow. Craft Supplies matched woodcrafts sales price and shipped it the same day. Thanks.