Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MM16 - where should the blade ride on the tire

The Centauro manual for the larger saws has the teeth just hanging over the edge. I run mine like that and it works and tracks great.,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    The Centauro manual for the larger saws has the teeth just hanging over the edge. I run mine like that and it works and tracks great.,
    When the blade is basically the width of the whole tire like the diagram and photo show, the way you're running it is pretty much the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    When the blade is basically the width of the whole tire like the diagram and photo show, the way you're running it is pretty much the only option.
    The tire (flywheel) width on these machines is 45mm (1-3/4") for the CO800 (31-1/2"). They state the minimum blade is 10X0.7(mm or 3/8" wide) and the maximum is 45X0.7(mm). Photo shows the 1" Lennox Woodmaster on the 1-3/4 flywheel. Teeth normally hang a bit further off the wheel ... for some reason they move back if I spin the wheel while detensioned.

The technical specifications for the current SP400 (see page 122, screenshot image below) doesn't give a spec on the flywheel for the SP400 (MM16) but does list the min/max blade at 10X0.5/30X0.5 leading one to believe the flywheel might be 30mm wide.

I just found the manual online for anyone that might not have received it with their tool. Section 8 on fitting and adjusting the blade starts on page 10. Like the other specifications cited above, the manual gives a specification for the thickness of blade and suggests (page 12) the 400/500 get a thinner blade than the 600/700/800. Same data as on the image of the chart in the SMC specifications below. I'm guessing that might be as much related to the turning diameter of the wheel as the ability of the saw to tension. Would need the engineers at Centauro/SCM to advise on that.

The Lennox Woodmaster CT (27mm wide x 0.9mm thick) actually exceeds the recommended thickness for the CO800 by 22% ... and the recommended thickness for the SP400 (MM16) by 44%.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 12-02-2017 at 8:24 AM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

With no blade on the tire, if you lay a straightedge across it, is the tire truly flat, or is there a slight enough crown that you can see any light toward the edges?

With no blade on the tire, if you lay a straightedge across it, is the tire truly flat, or is there a slight enough crown that you can see any light toward the edges?
    The SCM/Centauro tires are essentially flat ... no crown. Somewhere in my search for manuals this morning I saw replacement tires. Got to find that again. My tires appear to be fine, but they are special (I believe they have a T) and I want to get prepared for that day I need to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Bass View Post
    Make sure you grab this PDF manual I think some users put it together and its way better than what comes with the saw:

http://www.woodwrecker.com/woodworki...MiniMax16M.pdf
    Joshua ... that's a great resource. Definitely some gaps between that and the Centauro factory manual but very complementary.

The tire on my MM16 is flat. Zero crown.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This shows the tire crown on my Italian bandsaw. To the eye it looks flat, but with a straightedge and a light behind, there is an ever so subtle crown. The manufacturer's rep told me the T shape of the tire riding in the wheel groove creates this crown.

Crown or no crown, if your bandsaw tracks well, especially narrow 1/4" and smaller blades, I'd say all is good.

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

MY MM16 has a very slight crown visible when a ruler is laid on it.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome