Thread: Shaper cutter question

Shaper cutter question

I live in an old Craftsman home and I need to replace some of the interior trim. I am looking for a shaper cutter for the profile below but have not found one. I'm happy to run two passes, one with a cove cutter and one with an ogee cutter, but I have not been able to locate the right ogee profile. The shaper that I have has a 3/4" spindle. If you can point me in the right direction and or to sources for the cutters I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

https://www.sawmillcreek.org/CrownMolding.JPG"][/URL]
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you're willing to do this in two set-ups, you could use something like these:

Infinity 3/8 radius Ogee

Eagle 3/8 radius Flute

If you want an exact match you might consider getting an insert cutter (I use the one from Amana quite happily) and grinding an exact match from a blank cutter. They are HSS rather than carbide, but unless you need to run miles of moulding that should be fine. The blanks run $10-15 a pair as I recall.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Roger, I have a CMT insert cutter that takes 40mm knives. Do you know anyone who will grind blanks for me. I have called a couple of places and they have said that they don't grind these type of knives. Thanks again.

CT Saw grinds my corrugated knives (Schmidt head) but I'm sure they do a wide variety of types. I just send a drawing of the actual size profile. The cost always seems more reasonable than it should be. I suspect many of the on-line marketers (Oella, Schmidt, Rangate) will have capability possibly CMT.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Thanks, I'll contact them.