Thread: compensating for slop in miter gauge channel on DW745 TS

compensating for slop in miter gauge channel on DW745 TS

I downsized to a DW745 2 years ago. I now want to use a Incra Miter Express sliding table w this saw. The miter gauge slot is slightly wider than 3/4 inch causing the sled to wobble. Is there a tape that could be added to either miter gauge bar or miter gauge clot to eliminate most of this play

Foil tape

I've used the foil tape that is used to seal up HVAC ducts. NOT the easily tearable gray "duck tape" but the stuff that looks like a 3" wide roll of aluminum foil.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Are you using the stock miter gauge or an aftermarket one? Incra miter gauge bars have expansion disks that can compensate for out-of-specification slots. Or are your slots too wide for even this?
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

What Jim said. I used the Miter Express on a Dewalt jobsite saw for a while, until I sold the saw. The miter gauge docks on the Express, and the miter bar on the Express is what needs to be adjusted to the slot on the saw (not the miter gauge bar itself). If there isn't enough adjustment on the bar on the Express, you're SOL, unless you can find tape of the right thickness.

Incra support told me that jobsite saws are notorious for their slots being too large, and I did have to really crank the adjustments to their limits to get it to work. The larger problem with the saw, for me, was that the slot wasn't consistent along its whole length, so it was impossible to adjust well.

Came across this adjustable miter bar on the Rockler site a few weeks ago. Can't endorse it but it claims to adjust for a range of miter slot width.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by tom coleman View Post
    I downsized to a DW745 2 years ago. I now want to use a Incra Miter Express sliding table w this saw.
    Other than the wobbling, are there any other problems with sing the Miter Express on a DW745? On the DW745 there isn't much distance between the front edge of the table and the leading edge of the saw blade. So when you try to cut a wide board using any gizmo that rides in the miter gauge slot, most of the gizmo may be hanging off the front edge of the table when the cut begins.
    Last edited by Stephen Tashiro; 11-30-2017 at 12:40 PM.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Something that has worked very well for me ... drill/countersink/tap 3 or 4 1/4"-20 holes in the edge of the bar. Insert brass flat head screws in the holes. A drop of blue LocTite on the threads, and make your adjustments. Leave the bolts a bit proud of the bar, and file the heads for a perfect fit, after the LocTite sets up.