Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drying a big burl

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Ought to be interesting inside. What are you planning to make from the lumber?
    All depends on what it looks like inside of course but I'm hoping to get a couple round end tables, some cribbage boards with the side parts of the the burl and although I don't have a lot of experience in turning , maybe a couple bowls

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Lapointe View Post
    All depends on what it looks like inside of course but I'm hoping to get a couple round end tables, some cribbage boards with the side parts of the the burl and although I don't have a lot of experience in turning , maybe a couple bowls
    Whichever lumber you wish to use for turning blanks, coat all sides with 2-3 coats of Anchorseal Classic.

Finally got this cut into slabs. As we got close to the trunk it was pretty nice still so we made a couple more cuts and the entire thing is in slabs now.

I have it in my basement and will put some anchorseal on it in the next couple days and then stack and sticker outside. Here's a few pictures

IMG_2045.jpgIMG_2044.jpgIMG_2040.jpgIMG_2039.jpg
    Last edited by Marc Lapointe; 12-17-2017 at 9:37 PM.

Unfortunately that does not show grain pattern that is reminiscent of a burl. More likely a scarred over section where a limb was.

I’ve encountered similar situations many times when milling.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Unfortunately that does not show grain pattern that is reminiscent of a burl. More likely a scarred over section where a limb was.

I’ve encountered similar situations many times when milling.
    It definitely looks like an over zealous repair job based on the knot in the last picture that looks to be the center of it all. Still pretty unique grain pattern and I'll make something out of it when the time comes.