Thread: Visit to Restoration Hardware

Visit to Restoration Hardware

Did a holiday mall crawl with the wife last night and had a chance to visit restoration hardware. I am getting more and more requests for reclaimed lumber look projects and these guys seem to be a big part of that trend. I do not believe this is really reclaimed lumber but some sort of techniques to create a reclaimed look. Not only does it look like a gray/white/black translucent paint finish they have managed to create a great deal of texture in the wood, much like weathered wood. My first thought was....it is some sort of chemical process that softens the sapwood and then use a wire drum sander to pull it out?? It looks like a veneer in some instances and then a surface treatment in others.

So I snapped some photos and would like to hear what your thoughts are on how they achieve their look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In many species you don't have to soften the sapwood. It is already soft. A wire brush removes it. You can use a muscle-powered brush, but a wire brush disc on a drill is much faster. There is some art to it, so learn on scrap before you tackle a real piece of furniture.

There are also chemical products that apply an aged stain. Varathane sells one, but there are others.

Just as Jamie said.

Rift sawn white oak, hand brass brushed.

Rotary steel brushed red oak, unfinished:

Supermax makes wire brush machines with a choice of brush types that spit out brushed wood just like a drum sander.

John