Thread: Leigh jigs

Leigh jigs

For the sake of simplicity in use, how much am I giving up with an RJT400 over a Super 24 or D4R Pro? Bought one a few weeks ago and am thinking about exchanging it before even opening the box after lots of reading. Thanks.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 11-30-2017 at 4:48 PM.

I have the RTJ400 and find it easy to use and get great results. I have done through and half blind. I only use it when I have a bunch to do. Half blinds are done in one shot, both sides, and go very quickly. When I first got it there was maybe 4-5 trial cuts before I got it dialed in. Marked the settings for next time and only have had to make the slightest adjustments at times, usually not.

Your definitely limited with pin size, spacing etc. They look like machine made no doubt. I think the fancier ones give much more adjustment with size and spacing.

Not sure on the others but the RTJ is used on a router table, and a good quality table and lift make it much easier. Also using it on the table gives fairly decent dust collection if your set up properly.

Thanks. That's helpful. I do have a Jessem table with incra master lift with the big porter cable motor in it. Almost finished with my cabinet but will have below dust collection through my Oneida v3000 and the incra slotted inserts, and also through the Jessem fence.

i like the simplified approach and the table dust collection but am worried about limitations due to fixed fingers. That has me thinking cry once with the super 24 or d4r pro. Woodcraft indicated I could swap it if I didn't like it after trying it, but in this case I haven't even opened box.

The question you have to ask yourself is if you plan on or want to be able to do more flexible dovetail (and other joinery) designs with the tool or if more basic/simple capability will meet your needs. If the former, you just cannot beat the D4 series because "it slices it dices" (for a price and more cost for accessories over time, of course)...I don't use mine very often, but I've enjoyed that there are few limits to creative spacing, etc. That's something that you don't get with a more fixed operation joinery jig.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can only speak on the D4R. I have been using it for about 12 years and it does everything I ask of it. I use it mostly for drawers these days, but have used it to make cedar chests that are 24" tall, so maxed out the cutting capacity.

I will also continue to sing the praises of Leigh. They are simply a great company. Just about two months ago I had an issue with my jig though I don't recall what it was. I called and they sent me the replacement parts....no charge and no shipping either. I bought a new bit at the same time and offered to pay the shipping, but they wouldn't let me. Great company.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

I have used mine only once to make a couple of large drawers. First dovetails I've ever made and they turned out great. Once I got everything dialed in (there is a learning curve) the actual cutting was fast AND no dust with the vacuum coming thru the router fence positioned just behind the jig.

Just to update, woodcraft is ordering me a D4R Pro with accessory kit. None of the 3 local Florida stores had them in stock so I asked the one I will be nearest next to order it with plans to exchange the current unused one. I reached this decision after a long chat with one of the tech guys at Leigh. In addition to not limiting future possibilities, he pointed out that they sell more D4R Pros than all 3 size super jigs combined. Looking forward to putting my DW618 to work in a few weeks when I get the new jig.

That's likely a good long-term decision, Greg, especially if you plan on exploring all the great things it can do beyond "simple" dovetails.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...