Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 1200 drill press - replacing chuck?

Powermatic 1200 drill press - replacing chuck?

I'm wondering what my options are for replacing the chuck on a early 70's era Powermatic 1200 drill press. I'm a drill press newbie.

The machine does not have a chuck installed. I'm curious about where to buy a chuck, what's the best option, cost, as well as ease of install.

Also, the motor is 220V. Were these only 3 phase motors, or is there a chance it's single phase? Looks to be a variable speed model with the rectangular table with a "trough" all the way around the perimeter.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-01-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Those PM presses come with a #3 Morse taper spindle so you'll need a chuck with a 3MT integrated shank, like this one. Or you could buy a regular chuck and an arbor and put them together, you'll need an arbor that has a 3MT shank and a taper at the other end to fit the chuck, like one of these.

Any of the online machinery retailers(MSC, McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc.) will have chucks and arbors. It's best to shop the sales flyers, catalog prices for chucks are usually high. The one I linked is from the MSC flyer, their "regular" price for that chuck is $334. Here's the same chuck on their site but not linked from the sales flyer.

These were industrial machines so it's likely the motor is 3-phase, it should say on the label.

If it is 3 phase it’s a perfect candidate for a vfd. A simple check would be If it has a capacitor it’s a single phase motor, if not it’s 3 phase. I think that’s generally true. Also check how many leads the motor has, if it has 4 its 3 phase again, generally true.

I’d post a WTB on OWWM for a chuck. They’re a popular machine and get parted out from time to time.

Be careful about buying a chuck that is too big. If it is more then 1/2" it will not grip smaller drills.
    Bill

Plenty of #3MT options on Ebay that won't set you back much in terms of actual cost - either used or import. Realistically, it would be absurd to think there aren't real differences between an $18 chuck and a $300 chuck found on machinist's sites. On the other hand, the $18 chuck will get at least (hopefully) get you functioning. I bought one once (I can't remember what it was and I've long since sold that DP) and it was ok, though a big difference from an Albrecht or Jacobs.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I have the same drill press and mine has a 3 phase motor. I originally had a 115V VFD on it and I learned that VFDs don't work well with GFCI outlets. Every time I would shut off the drill press via the VFD it would trip the GFCI. I researched online and this a common problem that may or may not be fixable with filters, I didn't want to remove the GFCI in the garage so I decided to get a 230V VFD. Now it rubs great.

I have been meaning to upgrade to a keyless chuck. Mine has a very well working old Jacobs chuck on it so I'm in no hurry but if buying a chuck today I'd get a good keyless...joe

Thanks for the replies. All good info to store away.

The drill press sold before I had the chance to go check it out (it was about 1.5 hrs drive.) It had a 3 phase motor, no power cord??, and no chuck. From what the seller told me, I think it sold for around $200-250. With a nice chuck, replacing cord/plug, and a buying and setting up a VFD that would have put me close to $500, which I think is still reasonable for a machine of this quality. Not quite the deal I was originally hoping for, but it didn't work out anyway.

I'll keep looking. I think I'd prefer an 1150 variable speed anyway just for sheer size and height sitting in my shop.

Thanks again fellas.

That would be another example of:
    OWWM Rule No. 5: In the time between finding a machine and asking others if you should buy it someone else will come to the proper conclusion

Here in the Northeast (NY-Boston corridor +) $500 is a good target price for a machine of that ilk. I see them for more, and sometimes less. Key features to look for include: Reeves Drive VFD, long spindle travel (at least 5"), counter-balanced table, suitable spindle speed (slightly less important with a VFD), in tolerance runout, good bearings, good chuck, appearance of good treatment (no arc of shame). In terms of chuck, nothing wrong with a quality JT keyed chuck, the other mechanical thing is the quick quill depth stop ... I added a $50 after market and it makes the machine much more usable. Several brands fit that list of specs ... Powermatic, Clausing, Wilton, etc.

If you have the room and hoists ... ganged heads come up for sale seriously discounted quite often. There are two VS multi-head machines on my local Craigslist right now in the $200-$300 range.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 12-02-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Thanks Bill! Great info.

Matt - It's too bad that those full time jobs take up so much time that could otherwise be spent on the hunt for old iron...such a bother

Problem with the Reeves drive machines is that they are louder, the special sleeve bearings fail and cost over $50 to replace. I think you can do it without a lathe if you catch it in time? And the belt is also expensive.
    Walker Turner is another good 20" make to look for. They are sold cheaper then the Delta badged ones. Delta bought out Walker Turner around 1952 just so they could sell the drillpress under the Delta name.
    Bill

Come on guy,there's got to be some pics.You have my dream drill press,that thing is a beast which will last several life times.They are right about the belts but take it to your local Car Quest auto parts store and they should be able to order you one for lot less.Which is where I got my belt for my PM90 that I use to have---Carroll
    To late now I know why there's no pics.Lesson Learn:When it comes to older PM machines and at that price,buy it even if just about total you can part it out and still make money
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 12-02-2017 at 7:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Come on guy,there's got to be some pics.You have my dream drill press,that thing is a beast which will last several life times.They are right about the belts but take it to your local Car Quest auto parts store and they should be able to order you one for lot less.Which is where I got my belt for my PM90 that I use to have---Carroll
    To late now I know why there's no pics.Lesson Learn:When it comes to older PM machines and at that price,buy it even if just about total you can part it out and still make money
    Not a Powermatic but here are a couple pics of a NOS Delta 15-233 with the machine table I picked up a few years ago:

1) Contactor box removed, VFD mounting plate on the table
    IMG_0841.jpg

And here she is dressed out with the VFD, MIC-6 cast table and fence ala Pat Warner and an Albrecht chuck:
    IMG_0853.jpg

For a few years after the Stanley/B&D buyout they outsourced industrial machine production to Lindquist Machine Corp in Green bay, this press came from there. She's a beauty! I drove from NW Atlanta to Columbus, OH and back on a Saturday to bring her home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
    Not a Powermatic but here are a couple pics of a NOS Delta 15-233 with the machine table I picked up a few years ago:

1) Contactor box removed, VFD mounting plate on the table
    IMG_0841.jpg

And here she is dressed out with the VFD, MIC-6 cast table and fence ala Pat Warner and an Albrecht chuck:
    IMG_0853.jpg

For a few years after the Stanley/B&D buyout they outsourced industrial machine production to Lindquist Machine Corp in Green bay, this press came from there. She's a beauty! I drove from NW Atlanta to Columbus, OH and back on a Saturday to bring her home.
    Bill if this forum had a Like button I would be pushing it right now.Love that table,fantastic

Bill, can you post some more information about the Pat Warner inspired table? Since he passed we lost some of his great ideas on his website. Thanks