Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Today's Project

Even though it's a common timber around here I've only worked it wet one other time. These 2 pieces were turned within hours of the tree coming down. Water spray all over the place, river of water running down the gouge flute, pretty cool experience. The OP pic was from a log cut in August so it wasn't quite as wet but still quite nice to work with. The NE piece came from the raw piece in the first piece.
    Sycamore 2.jpgSycamore NE2.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Great looking NE bowl David, the wall thickness looks even all the way around which is difficult for me.
    Question regarding your original post...........did you use the #1,2, and 3 knives when you cored out the blank? I recently purchased the Oneway coring rig myself. But I only purchased the #2 and 3 knives as most of my bowls fall in the 10-14" category. Anything much smaller than 10" or larger than 13" don't go well in my area. I do hollow the first cored bowl out by hand though as it is small and only takes a few minutes to rough out.
    Have you cored any NE bowls yet? The Oneway makes it so easy, I can even now make the wall thickness pretty uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Great looking NE bowl David, the wall thickness looks even all the way around which is difficult for me.
    Question regarding your original post...........did you use the #1,2, and 3 knives when you cored out the blank? I recently purchased the Oneway coring rig myself. But I only purchased the #2 and 3 knives as most of my bowls fall in the 10-14" category. Anything much smaller than 10" or larger than 13" don't go well in my area. I do hollow the first cored bowl out by hand though as it is small and only takes a few minutes to rough out.
    Have you cored any NE bowls yet? The Oneway makes it so easy, I can even now make the wall thickness pretty uniform.
    Used #1, #2 & #3 knives on the original pics. Would have gotten 8.5" bowl out of the first one if it didn't break off. Haven't cored NE yet but have a couple recently acquired cherry blanks that might be candidates. I have the #4 knife but probably won't be able to use that much unless I upgrade to a 24" lathe but do have some 16" x 6"--8" bone dry catalpa blanks. One thing I did learn about using the Oneway for the first time with such a big blank was to finish off the diameter of the big blank to a size where you can get the banjo underneath to slide out of the way or use it to put a tenon on the cored bowl. Never had to worry about that with the McNaughton.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks for the reply.
    I think you'll love coring NE bowls with the Oneway. I've only cored one blank for them but got three bowls out of it. [hollowed out the "baby" bowl by hand] I cored them probably just 1/2" thick and as soon as I was done coring I finish turned them. They were a big hit at an Art Gallery sale and were the first bowls to sell. People were amazed at how they "nested" into each other.