Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creekers & Sam Maloof

Maloof is still so excited about his work....it is amazing! He works 6 days a week making furniture. He still does all the rough shaping using the bandsaw and rasps...he does all the assembly of every piece. His three helpers do the finer shaping, "hardline" and finishing which takes about 3 weeks on a chair. Sam drives a Porsche....and had it up to 135 MPH....his wife says he is a great driver and never worries about him...I really need to do that when I am 90 !

Sam said he really hasn't worked in 60 years! He never considered what he does as work, because he loves it! " Not many people can say that they really love their work" That is truly amazing after all these years...he still so excited and it comes through in has conversation..... It makes me think of my signature..."All great work starts with love....then it is no longer work"....for Sam it is his life and his fountain of youth

IMG_9348.gif

IMG_9349.gif
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Wow, that is really amazing. If someone could post a link to his schedule, I would appreciate it. Looks like a once in a lifetime day.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    I too thought of the Esherick home when I saw that staircase. Wonder if our Mr. Wolf has ever done one of those.
    Allen, One must know his limitations!

Richard

i`m green with envy! glad everyone had a good time. tod

Priceless!

In one of the videos we watched, it starts out with Sam telling a story about getting a call many years ago from a client asking how he is coming with the rocking chair he order 18 months ago....the man explained that he was in his mid 70's and would like to have the chair before he dies....

Now he gets calls like "Sam I know you are almost 90 ...I would like my chair finished before you die"...

Sam said..."I liked it the other way around"

Quote Originally Posted by Gail O'Rourke
    Wow, that is really amazing. If someone could post a link to his schedule, I would appreciate it. Looks like a once in a lifetime day.
    This thing was offered through UCR Extension: http://www.extension.ucr.edu/. I think they said it's offered about once a quarter (semester?), i.e. 3-4 times a year depending on Sam's other travel.

The normal tours and stuff are handled by his foundation: http://www.malooffoundation.org/maloofindex.cfm

That is amazing Mark. Looks like everyone had a good time.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the pictures, i saved them all. Maloof is an idol, the Master of the Bandsaw.
    No measurements... i would love to work that way. But i can or do it only on shop projects..
    Timo

Congrats to all!! Looks like you all had a great time!! I hope that you all learned a lot as I am sure you did!

Hey, I think I finally figured out what I've been doing wrong all these years: I measure everything!!!

Like I've said so many times on this forum, so many people here have more talent in their little finger than I do in my whole being and I believe you guys had the pleasure of experiencing the Master of that notion!!! Thanks so much for sharing the time you had and the pictures, of what appears a truly magnificent, almost magical moment! I'm sure all of you will carry this experience for many years, if not all of your life!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

It truly was an amazing day. At one point Sam lifted one of his chairs over his head and walked to the front of his shop with it. At another he stepped up onto the rough form of a rocker, the bottom piece the chair rests on and balanced himself with one foot on each side with his hands on benches for support. He was demonstrating the strength of the bent laminations. This man is in incredible shape! When he works he can be in constant motion bending down, running wood through his bandsaw and vigorously using that rasp, a favorite tool.

Speaking of his nicklson rasps, I asked him at one point if her ever used a spokeshave. He said he hadn't used one in awhile and prompty went to his tool cabinet to get one. He tool a few shavings off with it and tossed it aside. It wasn't fast enough for Sam. That got a chuckle from all of us. He mentioned several times that you have to work fast if you want to make a living in crafts.

Sam is one of those rare, genuine, unassuming, human beings whose company you just can't get enough of. Sam speaks lovingly of his wife Freda that past some years ago often. She is the one responsible for his staying in the business when he was ready to toss it in on more than one ocassion. He also speaks fondily of the "boys" that have come to work for him over the years and have stayed with him for decades. They speak fondily of him as well. Sam is not just a master of his craft. He is a master at living life to the fullest.

John, you are correct in mentioning that it was a magical moment. Being in Sam's shop, touching his tools and speaking with him is a rare opportunity. IF you can... Do IT!

Meeting fellow Creekers was a big bonus!

John
    Last edited by John Scarpa; 11-06-2005 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    I am a bit jealous. Wonderful day, it seems. I too thought of the Esherick home when I saw that staircase. Wonder if our Mr. Wolf has ever done one of those.
    Sam built a couple of those stair cases. He was very gracious in explaining how he makes them. The one that Lee showed was in the New house. The one I have in my last picture is in the old house. He starts out with a 3" piece of pipe for the center and puts the treads onto the pipe. When he has the first two treads in place he screws a big lag bolt from the second one into the first on. He repeats this until all of the tread are in place. Then he puts the post onto the treads, wraps the laminations onto the posts and clamps and glues them into place.

Oh and I didn't see any Bessey clamps anywhere in his shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Sam built a couple of those stair cases. He was very gracious in explaining how he makes them. The one that Lee showed was in the New house. The one I have in my last picture is in the old house. He starts out with a 3" piece of pipe for the center and puts the treads onto the pipe. When he has the first two treads in place he screws a big lag bolt from the second one into the first on. He repeats this until all of the tread are in place. Then he puts the post onto the treads, wraps the laminations onto the posts and clamps and glues them into place.

Oh and I didn't see any Bessey clamps anywhere in his shop.
    No Euro saw either....

One question that's been rattling around in my head is, what's the ultimate fate of that wood collection? Unless my back-of-the-envelope calculation is way off, there's something like a 100 year supply stashed away there.

Great post Don! Thanks for the photos. Sam forms have always been an insiration.
    I bet he does't fuss too much about whether his joiner is flat within
    .001".
    I really like his band saw table. He must be extremely focused on the process of his creation rather than on the "ideal" environment in which to create. Least we not forget it is not the shop that creates the product.....

Lee, thanks for the web site to the UC schedual. Next day with Sam is in Feb. I think I'll sign up.

Thanks again

Kent