Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/4" pipe clamps

3/4" pipe clamps

Kind of an FYI for anyone considering a pipe clamp purchase.

I'm finally getting around to putting clamp heads on a stack of pipe that I acquired in a buyout. Most of what I already have is Pony, which is no longer an option, so I ordered one each of Bessey and Yost from the big A.

The Bessey has huge standoff feet that seem really clunky to me. Also the casting, while being clean and refined looking, seems light and the jack screw is probably only 75% the size of my original Pony clamps. My overall impressions of this and another Bessey product I purchased, and handling them at a big box store, is I find them disappointing for the price. The Bessey did come with clamp pads but I use cauls so they don't benefit me.

The Yost is clearly a Pony clone. The castings are the exact size and configuration of the Pony as is the jack screw. In fact the casting number on the crank handle is the exact number as is on my Ponys. The only difference I can see is the castings are a wee bit cleaner and say Yost instead of Pony. Oh, and they are blue instead of orange if color coordination is important to you.

Unfortunately both clamps are made in China whereas my original Pony clamps were made in USA. Price on the Bessey was $13.97 vs $11.99 for the Yost. Either one is plenty cheap enough, especially when compared to a parallel clamp (and I already have the pipe), but the Yost just seems sturdier.

Glad and sad at the same time. We have all ponys as well and don't care for the besseys for the same reasons you mention. When jorgensen went down I bought all the ponys I could find locally and got about 15 sets. The best we ever found ponys for was 13+ a set. Wonder if yost bought the tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Wonder if yost bought the tooling.
    If not, it sounds like they went to a lot of trouble to duplicate even the casting number. LOL

I don't use many pipe clamps...they are more for overflow at this point or when I need something really long. (I actually have to 11' pipe clamps compliments of a friend who moved to Florida and left them with me) and they are all the Pony version. If I needed more, it sounds like I'd opt for the Yost myself for consistency in design based on the OP's description.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you for your review. I purchased some Ponys on 1992 but now I need some additional ones. It came on time!

I have at last count over 50 3/4" pipe and long bar clamps. Two of them are old school I beam clamps, and another two are 48" Bessey parallel jaw clamps I got at a yard sale. The entire collection ranges from 30 to 96" long, and I have about every brand imaginable, old Craftsman, Pony, a bunch of old odds and ends and even a bunch of Harbor Freight. They all clamp fine; some are more fussy to adjust than others, especially the old Craftsman style with the trigger mechanism on the sliding jaw. They all get the job done. I would love to have nothing by Bessey K body and old I beam clamps, but that's probably not going to happen. (I even have 3 of the aluminum HF bar clamps that I've reinforced with a long piece of wood, but I only use them for temporary assembly and dry fitting, not gluing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post
    Kind of an FYI for anyone considering a pipe clamp purchase.

I'm finally getting around to putting clamp heads on a stack of pipe that I acquired in a buyout. Most of what I already have is Pony, which is no longer an option, so I ordered one each of Bessey and Yost from the big A.

The Bessey has huge standoff feet that seem really clunky to me. Also the casting, while being clean and refined looking, seems light and the jack screw is probably only 75% the size of my original Pony clamps. My overall impressions of this and another Bessey product I purchased, and handling them at a big box store, is I find them disappointing for the price. The Bessey did come with clamp pads but I use cauls so they don't benefit me.

The Yost is clearly a Pony clone. The castings are the exact size and configuration of the Pony as is the jack screw. In fact the casting number on the crank handle is the exact number as is on my Ponys. The only difference I can see is the castings are a wee bit cleaner and say Yost instead of Pony. Oh, and they are blue instead of orange if color coordination is important to you.

Unfortunately both clamps are made in China whereas my original Pony clamps were made in USA. Price on the Bessey was $13.97 vs $11.99 for the Yost. Either one is plenty cheap enough, especially when compared to a parallel clamp (and I already have the pipe), but the Yost just seems sturdier.

Are the Yost pipe clamps still being made? I could not find them on Yost's website. Only found them on Amazon.

I have a bunch of the Bessey's and like them - although as you point out, the standoff feet can in certain circumstances be a bit awkward. The one thing I would say if you're going to a box store, is for heaven's sake don't by Irwins. I needed some in a hurry a while back and bought 4 of them. Complete junk. They won't stay reliably on the fixed end, and the clutches are worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence munninghoff View Post
    Are the Yost pipe clamps still being made? I could not find them on Yost's website. Only found them on Amazon.
    I don't know. I went and looked around and couldn't find them either. Either Amazon or Ebay only. I can't imagine they'd go to all the trouble to tool up for these just for a short run. Maybe they don't have them on their website yet??? I just ordered a dozen more just in case. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post
    I don't know. I went and looked around and couldn't find them either. Either Amazon or Ebay only. I can't imagine they'd go to all the trouble to tool up for these just for a short run. Maybe they don't have them on their website yet??? I just ordered a dozen more just in case. Thanks!
    I talked to a Yost sales person he said their clamps are exactly the same as the pony clamps except that the Yost clamps are also assembled in China. Pony clamps were made in China and assembled in the U.S. He said they are only sold on Amazon and did not know why they were not on their website. I also ordered a few more while they had them.

I'm not a big fan of pipe clamps. I've only got 4 of them (2 6-footers and 2 10-footers) and only use them when my parallel clamps are too short. If you get galvanized pipe for them, they won't mark up your wood as much as the black ones do.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    I'm not a big fan of pipe clamps. I've only got 4 of them (2 6-footers and 2 10-footers) and only use them when my parallel clamps are too short. If you get galvanized pipe for them, they won't mark up your wood as much as the black ones do.
    I'm not "fond" of them either...and only use them when I run out of parallel clamps myself. But they do have the redeeming factor of the combination of relatively inexpensive cost, stoutness and extreme flexibility in length (as you point out), so they still have a place in my shop. In that respect, they also hang in a different area of the shop away from where all the nice parallel clamps live. LOL
    --

I have a bunch of pipe clamps, and when someone wants to borrow a clamp, I loan them those. Bought too many parallel clamps when Menards used to put them on sale, and then started buying I beam clamps. When I was younger, could bend a pipe clamp, no way with I beams. Grizzly has some on sale for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Bought too many parallel clamps when Menards used to put them on sale, and then started buying I beam clamps.
    What is this "too many" you speak of...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What is this "too many" you speak of...
    Im with you there. We are probably somewhere between the 60 and 100 count and I would still put several more on the list if I could. Its definitely one of those meme's thats true. You'd never think you'd blow through a big clamp inventory but you always do, and regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    Marking up your wood is only really an issue if your gluing up nearly finished material. It all depends on your workflow and the equipment you have. We do all of our glue ups far in advance of getting anywhere close to finished dimension. I cant fathom the time it takes to prep stock to nearly finished size, glue up material, and only have minor cleanup after. Its much easier to leave a good bit of fat on the work, glue it up, and then let your dimensioning deal with the cleanup. All your left with is final sanding.