Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3/4" pipe clamps

Thanks for the post. I've got a dozen or so Pony clamps on long 3/4" pipes for table assembly and they've always worked fine. Good to know that Yost has the molding or is at least making the same design. I'm not open to the higher position of the Bessey.

I have about a half dozen or so Jet parallel clamps that are my 'go to' until the project requires more clamps, but man they're so much more expensive. I can work with pipe clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Marking up your wood is only really an issue if your gluing up nearly finished material. It all depends on your workflow and the equipment you have. We do all of our glue ups far in advance of getting anywhere close to finished dimension. I cant fathom the time it takes to prep stock to nearly finished size, glue up material, and only have minor cleanup after. Its much easier to leave a good bit of fat on the work, glue it up, and then let your dimensioning deal with the cleanup. All your left with is final sanding.
    Mark, I guess you never build anything out of finish grade plywood then. I can't fathom the time it would take to build casework entirely out of oversized hardwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    Mark, I guess you never build anything out of finish grade plywood then.
    This can be a valid point, but folks can still take measures to protect a surface by using thin blocking to provide a small space between the clamp and the material where there is risk of marking. I still personally prefer parallel type clamps for most work, but in those situations where pipe clamps are required or what's available...a little creativity can work nicely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    Mark, I guess you never build anything out of finish grade plywood then. I can't fathom the time it would take to build casework entirely out of oversized hardwood.
    We work with pre-fin ply almost daily and a lot of raw hardwood ply. Dont know, again, I always feel like its just in your work flow. We are pipe clamps and Ibars, none of them are galvanized, all the way. Never been an issue. Sure, on a solid wood glue up where the pipe is resting against the glue joint(s) youll get a black stain but it gets scraped and sent through the planer, sander, or hand sanded, and its all gone. If it were some critical glue up that wasnt going to see much sanding or the planer, then we may be a bit more tentative but cant remember the last time.

48 parallel clamps. Had to expand my clamp rack to the point I can barely roll it around.