Thread: carbide cutters

carbide cutters

I have a few of the easy wood tools and am needing to get replacements for them and I know you can buy them cheaper,,,but I have been told that the cheaper ones isn't as good as the easy wood ones,,can anyone comment on this,,and I have watched the you tube videos about sharpening them with a diamond stone and I have the 300,,500,,and a 1000 grit and laping fluid from trend and I cant tell they are any sharper after honing them with the diamond hones,,thank you,,any comments would be helpful!!!

I purchased some from Capt. Eddie and they were very good, however I only use them on a limited basis.

I use Capt. Eddie also. However I use them only with resin cast with wood. I like carbide tools and have many on my shop but I find these cutters don't stay sharp after use with end grain turning very long and sharpening them doesn't replace a new edge.
    At least that's my experience. I'm disappointed.

I also use Capt. Eddie, and sharpen them on a flat diamond plate.

I get mine from a place called AZCarbide. I have several of the EWTs as well and haven't found any of the other replacement cutters to be as good as the EWT brand but the AZ are very good and a more competitive price.

A problem with carbide these days is you don't know where it's coming from. Quality carbide inserts have gone up substantially in price in the last couple years.

Then you have the inserts from China which are dirt cheap with a good many in packages identifying them as quality non-third world. I was checking eBay for round inserts, I found the style I wanted for about 1/10 of the price for a quality insert. Hard to know what to do....