Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

4 Dec 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
    This past weekend The LOML and I celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary. We went out for lunch and ate steak at John Daly's Steak House, relaxed the afternoon, went downtown and took a horse and buggy ride through downtown Conway near the city center Christmas tree. All in all, it was a very nice weekend. I'm every so thankful that I'm still married to my best friend and wife, Tracy.
    Christmas decorations are up, tree is up and decorated. Today, I'm off work and going to try and finish up a chair repair that I've had in my shop for a long time now.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Dennis, congratulations on your anniversary!

It must be anniversary season. Friday, LOML and I saw a concert in LA (anniversary of the Heartbreakers’ release of L.A.M.F.) and we both were dragging some on Saturday. Sunday though was productive, the tree was put up. Lights are on the house, good food was cooked and consumed, and paper was marblized. I night walk toenjoy the supermoon capped it off.

Bayern and the Seahawks both won. Life is good.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Dennis, congrats to the both of you! It sounds like you spent the day in just the right way -- together.

I'm back to making messes in my shop, trying to start and finish two small projects for the holiday--a beer caddy and a whiskey gift box. But more importantly, I've got a queen sized bed that has to be built and delivered by mid-February (a wedding gift) and will hopefully have that started sometime in the next week or two. Over the weekend, I managed to get the beer caddy pieces cut out, pre-stained, and glued/assembled (pic below). Later today, once the glue (TBII) has cured completely, I'll do a final sanding, staining, and then put on a couple coats of shellac or poly.

Also, for you equine folks out there, LOML had a related accident last week -- she was KO'd by her horse during some off lead training in a round-pen after having her attention diverted away momentarily. (As it is with table saws and other shop equipment, so it is with horses apparently.) We spent last Wednesday evening in the ER where she was checked for concussion and had the sand flushed out of the eye that she appears to have landed on. I've seen accidents in ice hockey involving sticks and high flying pucks that didn't end up looking nearly as rough. Horses aren't for sissies, that's for sure. I'm taking her in for a follow-up visit to the ophthalmologist today so we can be sure that the slight corneal abrasion found in the ER is all that was damaged. We're certainly hoping for the best. Postscript: the eye doc says there's no permanent damage other than the scratch (corneal abrasion) to her eye. Whew!

caddy-in-pieces.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 12-04-2017 at 6:21 PM.

Dennis congratulations on 34 years.

I started the weekend on Friday night. I got the garage cleaned up and reorganized to fit a pop-up camper in among the motorcycles, lawn mower, grill and other assorted items. Put the mower in the back and the snowblower up front. I had to do that Friday night because on Saturday I attended a Toys for Tots event put on by an off road club in Green Bay. I was going to put out the Wrangler, but ran out of time on Friday night.

Sunday I got out in the shop and started milling up some maple for trim pieces in the house. While I had the planer set up, I also pulled out some ash for a table saw cabinet. I also finished up burning the last of the pile of leaves, so that was done before it rained today. Watched the Packers squeak by the Buccaneers and then went in the basement to hook up a TV down there. Had to split the antenna cable and run it to both the living room and a run in the basement.

Still have 6 boxes of misc. stuff from the move under the workbench so I decided I had to get through those because we decided to expand the outside Christmas lights and I needed an adapter that was somewhere in those boxes. I think I got through 2 1/2 of the boxes before I found the adapter. Then, I stripped down the bandsaw because I'd been noticing for a while that there was a decrease in power and figured that the bearings were clogged with dust. They were harder to turn than they should be but I wasn't looking forward to removing them and pressing in new ones. Luckily, the bearings cleaned up nice and they seem to be back to peak efficiency. I did disassemble all of the guides and have soaked those bearings, still have to reassemble them sometime this week.

I still haven't cleaned up throughly from the house projects (left over molding etc.) but started a queen sized bed anyway. Legs are cut to size but joints are not cut nor are they sanded. Center of headboard cut out and panels sanded and the back got a coat of shellac (SYP). I will put a coat on at least the front of the panel and inside edge of opening before glueup. May do another coat on both sides. At least one more weekend required.
    I only had the 48 tooth blade it came with which worked OK but not great on the track saw. My raw material was 10 foot 1x12s. A couple times crosscuts closed up threatening to stall the saw. I backed out and recut, one time twice. Rips worked better but I added a ripping blade to my Christmas list. Legs are 3x3 and I used a ripping blade on the table saw on them. It was not clean or overly sharp but worked. Need to tune up my tools. They worked but would have worked better with a clean blade of the right type.

Dennis, congratulations to you and the LOYL on the anniversary! Mike, I hope your better half has a swift and complete recovery.

The usual eclectic weekend for me; food shopping at Wegman's on Saturday morning with Professor Dr. SWMBO and then some puttering in the shop increasing the height of my MFT to 900mm. (thread in GW&PT). I also made a delicious meal for Saturday night nosh. Sunday, I was back in the shop continuing with major cleaning and reorganization I started on Friday...my commission project is complete and just waiting for the installation site to be ready, so clean, clean, clean has been the motto. I also discovered that the thermostat on my heater, um...destroyed itself...and ordered a heater relay and separate thermostat to replace it. Fortunately, it went AFTER my commission was completed and the finish had a few days to cure! My next project will actually be for my shop...I was going to buy a second Festool MFT, but have decided to tackle Timothy Wilmots' versatile MFSC muiti-function shop cart/workstation instead. After communicating with him relative to some questions I had, I re-did the cut list to reflect use of 5x5 Baltic Birch (multi-layer) since none of my suppliers carry this product in 4x8 sheets in 3/4"/19mm thickness. This will also be my second all-metric project and I'm looking forward to it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sawmillin' n woodturnin'

Congrats on the anniversary!

I fired up the sawmill and started milling ERC for siding on the new peacock house.

sawmill_cedar_IMG_20171204_165233_909.jpg

Took a mini donkey to the church for a Christmas program - a friend took some lambs. The donkey was uncooperative and refused to enter the building! Oh well, it was a nice day for a drive.

A young friend wanted to make a present for her sister. She picked a very challenging small squarish platter which requires "turning air" for the corners. Yesterday was only her 3rd time at the lathe but fortunately she is a quick learner. (Must be, she graduated from college at the head of her class at age 17!) She mastered fine controlled bevel-rubbing cuts with the Hunter Hercules tools, even the delicate cuts on the wings, turned the recess and shaped the bottom. Maybe finish up tomorrow evening.

Kristina_platter_IMG_20171203_174739_798.jpg

JKJ

Started my weekend on Thursday by delivering last 300 car bodies, and dust collector for Toys for Tots Workshop that was held on Saturday. I had cut out a total of 800 car bodies, and luckily delivered 500 of them in late Sept. The reason I say luckily is I spent 11 days in hospital with pneumonia in second half of October. Friday, wife and I went to American Jubilee Christmas musical, and then to Campers on a Mission Christmas dinner. Saturday got up, and made biscuits as usual, plus a sweet potato pie for our great grand son. Sunday AM, went to church. In afternoon picked up tools from TFT workshop, put lights on fence and manger scene out by road. Then we went to O'Charley's for some prime rib for dinner. Got up this morning and started a job replacing a rotted floor for daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Congrats on the anniversary!

I fired up the sawmill and started milling ERC for siding on the new peacock house.

sawmill_cedar_IMG_20171204_165233_909.jpg

Took a mini donkey to the church for a Christmas program - a friend took some lambs. The donkey was uncooperative and refused to enter the building! Oh well, it was a nice day for a drive.

A young friend wanted to make a present for her sister. She picked a very challenging small squarish platter which requires "turning air" for the corners. Yesterday was only her 3rd time at the lathe but fortunately she is a quick learner. (Must be, she graduated from college at the head of her class at age 17!) She mastered fine controlled bevel-rubbing cuts with the Hunter Hercules tools, even the delicate cuts on the wings, turned the recess and shaped the bottom. Maybe finish up tomorrow evening.

Kristina_platter_IMG_20171203_174739_798.jpg

JKJ
    John, what breed of cedar is that? Got a pinkish purple color looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dennis, congratulations to you and the LOYL on the anniversary! Mike, I hope your better half has a swift and complete recovery.

The usual eclectic weekend for me; food shopping at Wegman's on Saturday morning with Professor Dr. SWMBO and then some puttering in the shop increasing the height of my MFT to 900mm. (thread in GW&PT). I also made a delicious meal for Saturday night nosh. Sunday, I was back in the shop continuing with major cleaning and reorganization I started on Friday...my commission project is complete and just waiting for the installation site to be ready, so clean, clean, clean has been the motto. I also discovered that the thermostat on my heater, um...destroyed itself...and ordered a heater relay and separate thermostat to replace it. Fortunately, it went AFTER my commission was completed and the finish had a few days to cure! My next project will actually be for my shop...I was going to buy a second Festool MFT, but have decided to tackle Timothy Wilmots' versatile MFSC muiti-function shop cart/workstation instead. After communicating with him relative to some questions I had, I re-did the cut list to reflect use of 5x5 Baltic Birch (multi-layer) since none of my suppliers carry this product in 4x8 sheets in 3/4"/19mm thickness. This will also be my second all-metric project and I'm looking forward to it.
    I'm not sure why that Baltic birch is made in the 5' x5'. Would remind me of bathroom material around a shower. I recall getting this in the 4'x8' size at work, but don't remember the supplier. A great stable product none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory King View Post
    I'm not sure why that Baltic birch is made in the 5' x5'. Would remind me of bathroom material around a shower. I recall getting this in the 4'x8' size at work, but don't remember the supplier. A great stable product none the less.
    Yea, it's interesting that I can get 1/2"{13mm) in 4'x8' from Industrial Plywood, but they only carry the 3/4" {19mm} in 5'x5' which I can also source locally. Timothy was surprised when I mentioned it to him as in his EU geography, pretty much all of the sheet goods he uses seems to come in the rectangular format. No matter, the cut list works out to be relatively efficient with the 5'x5' sheet for this project anyway and leaves me with an actual usable larger piece on a the third sheet for a future project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Eastern Red Cedar

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory King View Post
    John, what breed of cedar is that? Got a pinkish purple color looks like.
    Gregory,

This is ERC, Eastern Red Cedar, Juniperus virginiana. It is often a brilliant red/purple when freshly cut but like all wood fades to a more gentler color with age, air, and light!

I've used it quite a bit for woodturning. This is more like the stabilized color when dry:

cedar_vessel.jpg cedar_bowl.jpg cedar_bowl_figured.jpg penta_plates_comp_small.jpg ambrosia_maple_IMG_20171202_175649_933.jpg

The trees do vary somewhat and a lot depends on the finish of course. It's hard to see but the last picture shows a bit of a cedar piece in the lower right corner - I'll get a real picture of it later. That one is from the same tree as most of the other pieces but the difference is it was soaked in "danish" oil and so far has had several additional coats. The others are either lacquer or straight beeswax (some rubbed on, some melted into the wood) and have faded a bit but haven't changed color significantly in a decade or more.

If you haven't turned ERC and want to try it swing by my shop in East TN the next time you are out for a Sunday drive.

JKJ

Congrats to you and your wife on your 34th!

My weekend accomplishment was replacing the Incra fence on my Sawstop with the T-Glide fence. As much as I loved the precision and accuracy of the Incra setup I hated having to drag the saw around if I wanted to rip anything wider that around 8 inches(the right side of the saw is against a wall). So I made the trip down to Highland , came back with 3 big boxes and got to work.

Before and after:
    IMG_0461-2.jpg IMG_1232(1).jpg

I got it bolted on Saturday then adjusted it Sunday morning. I cut the pieces for the boxes in the background(there are two more on the floor past the MFT) from some leftover 3/8 BC, they're going to the storeroom to hold all the plans I've been hanging on to over the years. I'll probably need at least 2-3 more but this is a start.

Hope you all had a great weekend!